Arc forces user to create dummy videos to re-access "return to recordings"

jfieser
Community Novice

Greetings, folks!

Here are two related problems which have been serious time wasters for me when screen recording my lectures in Arc.

PROBLEM 1: FORCED TO CREATE A DUMMY VIDEO TO ACCESS "RETURN TO RECORDINGS"
Suppose I record a class lecture, shut down screen recorder, and try to return to the recordings later when I have time to edit and upload it. There is no easy access to the "return to recordings" link (hereafter "the recording gallery") to edit that video. The only way to re-enter the recording gallery is to (1) sign into utm.instructuremedia.com, (2) hit the record button there, which triggers the screen recorder app (i.e., "screencast-o-matic" as it is officially called), (3) hit another record button on the screen recorder app, (4) after a second or so, hit "pause" then "done", which creates a dummy video, (5) hit "back to recordings" on the top left of the screen recorder app, (6) this displays thumbnails of videos stored on my computer in "documents/screen recorder", where I click on the video that I need, (7) this pulls up my video which enables me to click on the editing button and enter the video editor. What I need is a button after step 1 that takes me directly to step 6, without requiring me to create a dummy video. Over the course of this semester, I've wasted a huge amount of time creating then deleting these dummy videos. The issue has been compounded by the following bonus problem within Arc's screen recorder.

PROBLEM 2: EDITOR LOCKS UP AFTER 10 OR 20 "CUT EDITS

The Arc video editor locks up after 10 or 20 "cut" edits. That is, after, say, 20 cut tool edits, I go to hit the "done" button within the video editor, and it locks up. The only thing I can do then is to (a) shut down the screen recorder app in Windows Task Master, (b) shut down my web browser in Task Master (the record button there also locks up), (c) return to steps 1-7 to resume editing.

HERE'S HOW YOU CAN HELP: PLEASE CHIME IN WITH A "ME TOO!"
Other Arc users have also experienced Problem 1 above (https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/24572-how-do-you-get-to-video-editing-wo-first-recording#comm...). I've communicated with a canvas support representative about this (outstanding guy), and he said that problems like this best get Instructure's attention through the Canvas support community, rather than through an individual hotline request such as I made. In short, we need a serious "me too" movement if there's any hope of making this change happen.

Labels (2)