Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Teacher recording w/ Arc on iOS app?

Jump to solution

Is it possible for a teacher to record with Arc using the iOS Teacher app (or Android)?  We have Math teachers using iPads and would like to record their 3-5 min math videos for homework assignments.  Right now we cannot seem to find any way to do this with the iPad.  

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi bcrook@standrews-de.org...

I just tried this on my iPhone 8 Plus, and it worked fine.  I have the latest iOS installed as well as the latest version of the Teacher App installed on my phone.  In the Teacher app, tap on the three-lined hamburg menu in the upper left corner.  Select "Arc".  You'll be brought to the Arc dashboard.  You can then tap on "ADD" at the top right corner of the screen, tap "Browse Files", and then either "Take Video" or choose one you've previously recorded from your phone's "Photo Library".  It should upload just like it would using a computer.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi bcrook@standrews-de.org...

I just tried this on my iPhone 8 Plus, and it worked fine.  I have the latest iOS installed as well as the latest version of the Teacher App installed on my phone.  In the Teacher app, tap on the three-lined hamburg menu in the upper left corner.  Select "Arc".  You'll be brought to the Arc dashboard.  You can then tap on "ADD" at the top right corner of the screen, tap "Browse Files", and then either "Take Video" or choose one you've previously recorded from your phone's "Photo Library".  It should upload just like it would using a computer.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you!  I think we saw "Browse Files" and stopped there.

Now, and this may be another conversation, but is there any chance it could screen capture on an iPad??  Smiley Wink  Smiley Wink  Math teachers are using EduCreations to work problems and it would be super helpful to capture that without having to export those files and upload into Arc.  (there's our dream list)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Actually, iPhones do have a built-in screen capture built right into the iOS.  It doesn't capture you talking while showing stuff on your iPhone or iPad, however.  It's kind of a hidden feature.  On your iPhone/iPad tap on Settings >> Control Center >> Customize Controls.  There should be one for Screen Recording.  If you add this under INCLUDE, then when you swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone/iPad, you'll have a record button where you can start recording your screen.  You'll want to then upload that video using the steps I outlined above.

Highlighted

Yep Apple makes that really hard to do, even for app developers. You can do it via computer using quicktime and a lightning cable but I don't think thats what you are after.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Thank you for providing these steps, this has saved me! Initially I though it wasn't possible to record video in Arc from a smartphone because I did not see the RECORD button on the Arc dashboard. See image:

Arc dashboard screen capture in Canvas App

Then I learned that the RECORD button is available to Android users, but for some reason not iOS users. The only way I can record and upload a video from a device running iOS is:

• Click "ADD" at the top right corner of the screen
  • Tap "Browse Files"
  • Then either "Take Video" or choose one I've previously recorded from my phone's "Photo Library".

Can anyone explain why iOS users don't have the RECORD button on the main Arc dashboard? My feeling is that many admins, instructors and students will assume it is not possible, especially if they're used to the Arc dashboard in the browser version.

Highlighted

Did anyone ever have an answer for this? We are still experiencing this issue with instructors using iPads and then they are unable to edit their videos. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No. I assume it's an iOS issue since the interface is slightly different (and easier) to navigate on Android devices.

What issues are your instructors having with editing their videos? The only types of videos that can be edited are ones recorded using Studio's Screen Capture feature, which unfortunately you cannot do from an iPad/iPhone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I can see the Record button when I open the Studio on my iPad's Teacher Canvas app.  However, that's where the good news ends.  When I try using that feature, I am prompted to download an application file.  However, after uploading, this file (.dmg) is not compatible with iOS devices.  

350356_IMG_0968.jpg

350375_IMG_0969.jpg

350376_IMG_0970.jpg

0 Kudos