Commons Beta

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are happy to let you know that a Beta environment version of Commons is available. 

Why have we built it? 

Previously, Commons hasn’t had a Beta version, and even if you used Canvas Beta, it had production Commons configured with it. 

Having a Beta environment for Commons allows you to access a preview of what is coming. Admins can create trainings or guidelines, or simply play around with the new functionality before it comes to the production environment.

When does Commons Beta get released?

From now we will release improvements and new features to Beta first, just like the rest of Canvas.  We will release to Commons Beta at the same time as Canvas Beta. The next beta release is scheduled for 20 January, 2020 which includes features for the 15 February 2020 production release. 

How does it work? 

Similarly to Canvas, Commons Beta syncs with production every Saturday. While syncing, Commons functionalities will be unavailable on Beta. 

How can I get access to it? 

We ensure that if you use Canvas Beta, and you already have Commons configured for your institution, you will have Commons Beta set up in your Canvas beta environment automatically.

Tags (2)

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

9 Comments
jsowalsk
Community Champion

@zsgoreczky ‌, will there be beta release notes for Commons and if so will these be included in the Canvas release notes or separate? If so, where will these be located? Thank you so much for this much needed improvement!

jsowalsk
Community Champion

This page connects to Canvas Release Notes: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/commons-users-group 

jsowalsk
Community Champion

Will we be notified of the release notes as admins? 

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi Jessica,

Commons Beta release notes will be included in the regular Canvas Release Notes. I'm also going to send an update to the Commons User Group every month so it's easier to keep pace with what's new and what gets released. 

Zsofi

jsowalsk
Community Champion

Great, thank you. What type of information will the update entail? Information that will be in the Canvas beta notes?

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm planning to send an update each month about what we have been working on and what will become available soon. If there is some other information that you would find helpful, please let me know. Thanks! 

jsowalsk
Community Champion

Hi  @zsgoreczky ‌, Any additional testing information and if there is something in particular that an admin would need to turn on and where it is located or if Instructure will be already pushing the feature out for us that would be great to know.

zsgoreczky
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I see, thank you, Jessica for sharing it. Will keep it in mind for the next update. 

jsowalsk
Community Champion

Great, thank you.