New Ideation Stage:  Product Radar

Community Team
Community Team
62 32 17.5K

TL;DR: We’re adding a Canvas Feature Idea stage to better communicate what is on our radar and what we are planning for the future.

We are adding the Product Radar stage to identify ideas that are on the radar of our product team, but are not currently planned for development or in development.

Here’s what you can expect from us:

• The product team will comment on ideas of their choosing, quarterly.  These ideas will move to an appropriate stage, including Product Radar.
  • Voting will remain open for ideas in the Product Radar stage.
  • An idea may stay in Product Radar, indefinitely.
  • Product Radar Ideas may eventually move into other stages including In Development, or Complete.  Ideas that we decide not to implement will be moved to Archived.
  • Resubmissions of Product Radar ideas will be archived.

Here’s why:

Very frequently there is a conversation at Canvas HQ that goes something like this:

Community Manager, “Hey, Check out this idea that received so many votes.”

Product Manager, “Hey, That’s a great idea!  I love this.”

Community Manager, “Awesome!  So, we’re going to build this, right?”

Sad Product Manger, “No, not now. We have to do X, Y, and Z first.”

Sad Community Manager, “So, like, we’ll never do this?”

Product Manager, “Not NEVER, we just can’t say when we’ll be able to.  We want to but it's too far in the future to tell.  It is on our radar though.”

radar-icon1.png

So now there is an idea stage for things that are on our product managers’ collective radar - they know about it, understand the need, want to build it but cannot say when it will be possible.

*Read more about the Ideation process and idea stages in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4396-what-is-the-feature-development-process-for-canvas?sr=... and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

32 Comments
Community Member

Hoping this idea gets more traction; our faculty are struggling with many accessibility requirements and this feature would be welcomed with open arms.  (Love the St. Paddy's hat you are wearing!) 

Community Member

I really hope that this feature is added.  Downloading and archiving graded discussions is an absolute must for my in-person courses and of course hybrid courses. I'm shocked that it's not a built-in feature already. I see requests for and discussions about this that extend back to 2015!  Please, please, please add this.  

Community Coach
Community Coach

lawre393@umn.edu, this is the general information page for all feature ideas that are currently on "Product Radar." What you would want to do is copy what you posted here (and if possible add some more specifics about how you would use this and why it's so important) and add it to the specific feature idea - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1506-export-discussions?sr=inbox&ru=180039 

Community Member

It's necessary because some of our courses enroll 100+ students, with graded assignments that entail posting to the discussion forum. So, there are a number of reasons why this is important, like being able to quickly download content. It's important that grabbing this content maintain the data associated with it (when comments have a threaded discussion, upvotes, etc). Screenshots are limiting, as is exporting the view as a PDF does not include the names of the students and scrambles the content.  Another thing that would be nice is if the regular assignment downloads included all media types. I will add that I've been part of a pilot for using Canvas (2+ years now) and exploring whether or not the University should switch to this LMS (versus keeping our current LMS). These features, as well as others, play into the feedback that we pass along in our surveys, especially for the ease if use relative to those large classes with an active online component.

Surveyor

I would like to strongly endorse this feature of allowing groups (or the instructor for that matter) to set their group home page!!!  As the instructor of a course using groups for collaborative purposes, I am finding it necessary to customize content for the group; creating content pages in other words, for the group to access.  It would be so convenient for the group to see those resources instead of "recent activities".  

Glen Gummess

University of St. Francis.

Navigator

GGummess‌, you might be interested in voting for, or commenting on, this popular feature idea:

Community Member

Hi all!   Just wondering if any progress has been made on this topic - "Allow Admins to hide Course Menu Bar items by default"   ?  To reiterate, some Faculty where I am don't want their instructors don't use certain tools, like Attendance, Outcomes, Conferences, or Collaborations, this change would make a cleaner experience for the instructor.

thanks, Emily

Community Team
Community Team

emily.renoe@ubc.ca, the best way to get updates on a specific idea is to comment on the idea itself and "follow" it to your inbox. The Product Team reviews all ideas and will post updates as and when they become available.

Community Member

I know there is a process for how things are prioritized but being able to weight individual assignments within a group has been brought up multiple time and frankly keeping my colleagues and I from being able to use one of the main selling points of Canvas which is that it communicates directly with the grade book. Without this feature I have virtually no incentive to switch from my current LMS.

Community Team
Community Team

Hi jamie.grimaldo@gpisd.org

You're comment isn't really in a place where it will best serve your interest, so I want to point you in the direction of a couple feature ideas where you should add your use cases (as comments) and your vote.  As with any grading policies, there are usually a couple different points of view, so I'm going to point you to two different ideas.

*Also, as you read through the comments, you'll find suggestions of how you can set up your gradebook to function as you are seeking - you'll just need to do the math to calculate point values for the assignments within the assignment groups.

Community Member

New at this I'm having trouble following alone. Mabe, I will catch on soon.

Community Coach
Community Coach

vrivers@mail.ccsf.edu, is there something Canvas specific that you are having problems with or that we can help you with? To get started your best bet for asking questions and getting answers it the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers?sr=search&searchId=4c1e0143-262a-4525-aa6c-2debec5...‌ area of the Community.

Community Member

I am glad it is on the radar but does it typically take two years to get something rolling? I do not believe this is "something nice to have..." but it is really essential to provide students feedback and it is very messy to be required to add them manually though the grade book. 

Does this need to be reopened (or is it already)?

Community Member

Thank you for looking at finding a way to score quizzes as percents! Changing the number of points for each question on a 50 question quiz is tedious and time consuming! 

Community Coach
Community Coach

jsraquet@uncc.edu, this isn't a Feature Idea, so I'm not sure what you're referring to in order to be able to help answer your question more specifically. In general though the speed that something gets done can vary quite a bit. Some have been done in a matter of months or less. Some take 2+ years or are still hanging out even after that. There's a lot of factors that go into when and how quickly something gets done and it's rarely as straightforward on the back end as it might seem on the front end. 

Community Member

Dear CANVAS staff,

Please kindly provide an update about

Anonymous Discussion Forums

Idea created by scottd@instructure.com on Apr 13, 2015
This idea has been voted in 2015, apparently not getting enough vote at that time. there are other voices including those from Higher Education sector CANVAS users have voiced the importance of ANONYMOUS DISCUSSION to enhance more participation rate in CANVAS DISCUSSION FORUM. This needs may be more positive impact in Universities that student-directed learning is the desirable pedagogical approach. I would be very grateful if the CANVAS TEAM can instruct us how to prepare this Proposal to be discussed and voted again.
Many thanks, Daniel Sze at RMIT UNIVERSITY AUSTRALIA.
Community Coach
Community Coach

daniel.sze@rmit.edu.au‌, for information and/or updates on this Feature Idea you need to post them on the idea itself - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1117-anonymous-discussion-forums" modifiedtitle="true" title=".... In addition it's a good idea to add your feedback about why this idea is important so Product Managers will be able to see it. This specific document is only to explain what Product Radar is. 

Community Member

Being a linux developer a "lot of this kind of stuff" goes on all the time.

Especially with NEW people to Linux.

They are viewing it from the "outsider" view and see that "hey this would be great to do..." and are very vocal about it in the public square.

In contrast to that, as stated above, the vocalism in the public square does not necessarily reflect what the "old groaners" "need" because they have "figured things out" in a way that the new person does not perceive. so some perceive that the "old groaners" don't care.

But also.... ....there are the old groaners who "finally" figure out that something needs to be done or added and start a discussion; quite often on an IRC channel because it works in real time and is "out of sight out of mind".. sometimes really intuitive or mind blowing or just plain drivel gets discussed but at the end sometimes stuff gets done.

The problem...is..........the code......

Just because something actually might be VERY worthy it does not translate into an "easy few lines of code" that can just be dropped in without affecting other things. "code" in general and Canvas in particular, is all a very LARGE and tightly woven amount of bits and bytes ...and it is open...in that people really can contribute code..

Coders...are few and far between....

So......this kind of "forum" to get things up for people to see and to vote on really are a good thing and...something that the closed source systems usually do not have..

It is unfortunate, to allude to a post above, that herein are "the choir". 

If there was just some way in which the faculty which will never darken the doors of these hallowed halls could be polled about this or that...... Smiley Sad

But, again, this particular cubby in the great website of Canvas is a good thing! Smiley Happy

James

Community Member

I would like to see the Product Radar sort, but don't have access. How can I upvote features I want if I can't see the list?

Community Team
Community Team

alynch@fas.harvard.edu

If you click on the "Product Radar" button on the right of the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas page you should be able to see the sort.  Let me know if you're not able to.

Community Member

It would be great to add a similar functionality for instructors who want to view content as a student when using the student Canvas app.  Or at least something similar to “student view” under settings when using a web browser.   

When I contacted Instructure Support they shared "You will view the course as an instructor, regardless of which app you use, unless you are enrolled in the class in a student role only." (case #02999842)

Navigator

curtis.phillips@wwcc.edu, based on what you wrote, you may be interested in voting or commenting on this popular feature idea:

(Over time, it's garnered votes and comments from Android mobile users as well as those on iOS.)

Community Member

Wonderful—just voted! I didn’t see this when I did a search on this topic.

Thank you,

Dr. Curtis Phillips

Phone: 509.527.4296

Mobile│Text: 509.956.8224

Office: 32<http://screencast.com/t/H8eNGbxDb> Main Building

Community Member

OK, so you can't apparently get rid of the Summary at the bottom of the Syllabus. So, how is this software any better than others that force a certain way of doing things simply because IT folks aren't (apparently) aware of what customers need?

Community Member

I also hate the Summary.  It really confuses my students!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kbeachy@tulane.edu and jew21@psu.edu 

First a question - How does the Course Summary on the Syllabus page confuse students? It is a list of assignments that includes the due date and is in date order. This is actually a very nice tool for students, and mine love it. However, if it really does bother your students in some way for whatever reasons, you can always hide the syllabus content area. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 

We tend to project that what we don't like or need is universally disliked or not needed.  I have used five different LMSs and administered four in my long career, and at no time did I use one in which the company paid more attention to what the users wanted or need than Canvas does. Nor one more aware of its users and their preferences. Did you know that in this last year, 2000 feature ideas were submitted in this community, and of those 428 have been completed or are in development? That  represents an incredible level of awareness and a huge investment in giving its customer what they want.

You are here, you are using your voices, and you can be assured that you are being heard! I know that Canvas values negative feedback just as much as positive feedback, as any good business should. How do I know that,? I know it because a negative comment of my own from six years ago is still being used in Canvas presentations to demonstrate their commitment to their customers.

Please continue to share your valuable feedback in this Community!

Kelley

Community Member

So it is possible to hide the syllabus, but I don’t want it hidden, just the long list of assignments at the bottom.

It seems you assume in your response that everyone wants all the assignments to be seen from the beginning, but some assignments won’t be actually assigned, in my case, because they are available for assignment depending upon class interest and need.

Thus, there are assignments in the Assignment Tab which are hidden and others which are opened for viewing as the course progresses. The listing at the bottom of the syllabus doesn’t really represent what will occur within a given class.

Thus, it causes confusion.

Dr. Jack Watson

Professor of Soil Physics and Biogeochemistry

ESM Director of Graduate Studies

Ecosystem Science and Management Dept.

409 ASI Building

University Park, PA 16802

jackwatson@psu.edu<mailto:jackwatson@psu.edu>

814-863-6714

Community Team
Community Team

jew21@psu.edu‌, did you know that students are not able to see unpublished assignments in the Course Activities list at the bottom of the Syllabus page? As the instructor, you will see those in the list—but your students will not. A good way to hold assignments in reserve until later, then, is to keep them unpublished.

Community Member

Thank you very much. I’ll look at that by looking at the student view if I can. However, I was working from what students had told me.

Dr. Jack Watson

Professor of Soil Physics and Biogeochemistry

ESM Director of Graduate Studies

Ecosystem Science and Management Dept.

409 ASI Building

University Park, PA 16802

jackwatson@psu.edu<mailto:jackwatson@psu.edu>

814-863-6714

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, jew21@psu.edu

One other thing you might consider, is placing your Syllabus in an orientation module. I have been doing that in Canvas for many years because I find it actually gets read more if it is not in a separate area, and I can link it to a small orientation quiz at the end of that module. Then you can hide the entire Syllabus area, yet still provide your students with a syllabus.

One of the joys of the information technology revolution - there are always more than one way to skin a cat; although , I have never quite understood why anyone would want to do that.

Kelley

Community Member

LOL, great summary!

Learner II

Thanks for finally removing the RADAR stage! I always thought it was a smack in the face to see that a feature was put into RADAR, effectively communicating, "Yeah, we know you want this, but we don't care, and we have no plan to ever move it out of RADAR. It's here INDEFINITELY. So stop asking." 

Meanwhile, the only features you do implement seem to have no significant impact ("Allow drag and drop in Dashboard").

My worry is that the only reason you've removed RADAR is because it had poor optics. In the end, I have very little confidence that you will ever implement anything significant that is requested from the community who struggles with your still nascent and very slowly developing product.

About the Author
Teacher, author, volunteers as SCUBA diver with disabled people, jack of all trades and good at all of them. Raconteur, man about town and the most interesting science teacher one could have. Observer of the human condition and commenter thereupon,