Unsplash: Better Images for the New Canvas Rich Content Editor

Instructure
Instructure
4 2 1,601

Last July you may remember we announced our new partnership with Unsplash. Now that the new Rich Content Editor is available in the production environment, you’ll enjoy improved content creation tools, including awesome images with Unsplash.

Why Unsplash?

Unsplash provides curated, high-resolution professional photographs for free, which means safe searches at no cost! Images can be used for both commercial and noncommercial purposes. The Unsplash library has over 1 million images, so you will certainly find beautiful images to support your content. For questions about images, view the Unsplash License page.

How do I use Unsplash in Canvas?

Unsplash is used in any feature that includes the Rich Content Editor, such as announcements, assignments, discussions, and pages.

The New Rich Content Editor is currently a feature option, which means some admins may not choose to enable the New Rich Content Editor for an account at this time. However, those institutions that are using the Rich Content Editor can find Unsplash as its own tab when uploading an image.

334603_unsplash.png

Where else is Unsplash available in Canvas?

Along with the new Rich Content Editor, Unsplash options are available for instructors when adding a thumbnail image to a shared Commons resource and adding an Unsplash image to Dashboard course cards.

Let us know what you think about Unsplash!

2 Comments
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

That's awesome! I have enjoyed using Unsplash images in Google Slides and just played around in a sandbox course with the Unsplash image upload option in the new RCE. It worked well! 

Surveyor

How can I district unblock Unsplash.  We cannot find a URL or anything to allow us to unblock it.  

About the Author
I became a Canvas convert during my time in graduate school, and now I'm lucky to play a part in making Canvas awesome. Outside of work you'll find me camping in National Parks or traveling around the globe.