BigBlueButton has some great new features available!

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Product Blog Headers -- 1200 x 200.png

Good afternoon! I am very happy to share some new functionality now available in Beta for BigBlueButton Conferences!

In the Settings tab you’ll find a new option which is “Enable Waiting Room”. This new feature functionality allows teachers to prevent students from joining a BigBlueButton session until they've approve the attendee's entry. Until teacher approval, the attendees remains in a virtual waiting room.

“Add to Calendar” is also a new setting that allows the user to create a calendar entry while they are creating a conference. This functionality eliminates the manual requirement of having to create the conference from the calendar.

Additionally in the Attendees tab, a user can now set varied permissions for attendees which allows you to be able to control their permissions before starting the BBB conference. The user can set key defaults, such mute all microphones and prevent private chat, and they are automatically applied when the session starts.

The final feature to highlight is the “Sync Attendees” option which synchronizes attendees so that late course joiners are added/included in the conference, automating a previously manual process and saving the user a bit of time.

We hope you'll find these updates beneficial, they are currently available in Beta for your preview and will be available in Production on October 15th. As always, thank you for your interest in Canvas, your dedication to your students and for being a valued member of our Community! If at any time you would like to share your experience, provide feedback or discuss needed functionality, click this link to sign up for time to have a brief chat with me and a couple of team members. 

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

3 Comments
sbarry2
Community Participant

@JDPearson

One of my instructors has a conference that has been going on since before the recent BBB upgrades. He has noticed that since the upgrade, despite not having the "Waiting Room" option selected in the conference settings, students are still forced to wait for admission. 

Do you think this is because the meeting was created before the recent upgrade or is there another option we need to look for inside the meeting?

Thanks for any info. 

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello @sbarry2,

@ffdixon is the Product Manager for BBB and attempted to connect with you on this question on your post in the Canvas Question Forum. His comments/questions are below. Please connect with him directly for assistance on this as he will be the best resource for you.

Thanks!

As a first start, could you masquerade as a student in their course and try joining yourself. Do you see the waiting room?

If so, I'd like to reach out directly and get some more information. Once we figure it out, I'll post a summary to this thread.

Regards,.. Fred
ffdixon
Partner
Partner

Hi @sbarry2, just following up on Jewel's message -- I've DM'ed you directly to gather more info on what is happening.

Once we figure this out, I'll post a summary message to this thread.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Product Manager (and CEO of Blindside Networks)