Canvas Inbox Refactor Update

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Product Blog Headers -- 1200 x 200.png

Good afternoon, I have received the feedback shared here in the Community regarding the concerns with the Inbox Refactor and the loss of the ability to add/include Observers, via your custom script. We’ve heard you. Our Engineering Team has reviewed the functionality available via the custom script and Gradebook and I am pleased to share that we will be able to include that functionality within this refactor, inline with what is currently available. We are working on the update, we will make it available in Beta as soon as it is available and will delay the move to Production to the December 17th release.

So as to not set unrealistic expectations for the future, it is important to note that there is risk associated with using custom coding and that risk is assumed by/the responsibility of the end user. Custom code may be negatively impacted by product updates we may make, at any time. Additionally and unfortunately, we may not always be able to offer a positive resolution in support of custom coding or have the ability to match functionality that might be available in a different Canvas application for varied reasons, as we will be able to do with this update.

As always, thank you for your interest in Canvas, in Inbox, your dedication to your students and for being a valued member of our Community. If at any time you would like to share your experience, provide feedback or discuss needed functionality, click this link to sign up for time to have a brief chat with me and a couple of team members.  

Tags (2)

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

6 Comments
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Thanks for this update @JDPearson!

Just so I understand correctly and can update my stakeholders:

1 - no changes to the inbox on 10/15 (I see delayed in the release notes)

2 - updates are expected in Decembers AND at at that we can expect to see functionality native to Canvas that will let staff attach linked observers to a message. Something similar to gradebook?

WolseyHallSupp
Community Explorer

Thank you for this update which is very welcomed by our institution :).

I am also interested to hear the answers to @audra_agnelly questions. Thanks

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@audra_agnelly @WolseyHallSupp 
Very welcome!

You are correct, there will be no changes to Inbox on 10/15 as we've delayed the move to Production until 12/17. You will see the Observers functionality in Inbox in Beta within a month or so and it will be available in Inbox in Production when we move to that environment on 12/17.

Hope that answers all of the questions.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@audra_agnelly @WolseyHallSupp also to clarify, the functionality provided will mimic the behavior the custom script provides for Include Observers.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@JDPearson was this rolled back? We had some reports of slow load times with the refactored inbox after saturday's release. When I went to investigate yesterday I saw the old inbox interface. I don't see any updates on the release notes.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@audra_agnelly it was and I was working on the go forward planning and communication as you messaged. thank you!

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Canvas-Inbox-Refactor-Update-1-25-2023/ba-p/5519...