Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canvas X: Nudge, August 2018

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
11 26 5,176

Canvas X is where we seek your input on experiments from our secret pandaworks lab!

It's all about starting small, measuring, and learning our way forward!

Our June-August Nudge experiment was a success! So now we are opening up the experiment again for a much larger test. Read below for details and signup.

Nudge is a prototype service that helps students effectively manage their time and coursework. This service is the first step in a longer term smart messaging vision for Canvas. When enabled in a course, Nudge sends the following messages to students through Canvas:

• Upcoming Assignments: An assignment is due in the next 24 hours and the student hasn’t turned it in yet. Prompt them to turn it in / finish.
  • Late Assignments: An assignment deadline has passed and the student has not turned it in. Prompt them to check if they can submit late.
  • Course Checking: The student has not checked the course for more than a week. Prompt them to visit the home page for any updates.
  • Weekly Report: Every week send students a list of assignments/quizzes that are due that week.

Because feedback and data are core to our development process, we are reaching out to the community for this pilot. The current version of Nudge is experimental and in early development; iteration is expected as the experiment progresses.

Any course that enables Nudge will provide us with insight into the effect of “nudging” different students in different ways. We also value feedback about the user experience and effectiveness of these reminders from your perspective as an instructor.

Your course may be a good fit for pilot if it fits the following criteria:

• Blended or fully online courses
  • History of teaching the same course in prior semesters
  • Have a course beginning August/September 2018
  • Make use of multiple assignments throughout a course
  • English is the primary language of instruction
  • Multiple sections of the same course (nice to have, but not necessary)

Privacy Notice: Canvas is committed to keeping you and your student’s personal information private. All participants will be able to opt out at any time. Any and all use of the data from this experiment will be used to make Canvas a better product and not shared publicly without express prior consent.

The Volunteer Window has closed.  Watch the CanvasX space of the Canvas Studio‌ for future summaries and opportunities.

If you successfully signed up you should get a message in Canvas later this week confirming that you are going to be participating. Nudges will then start being sent next Monday (Aug 27th)!

Have questions? Leave them below.

26 Comments
GregoryBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I am so happy to read that the summer pilot for this was successful. I hope to be included in the fall and will share this page with colleagues who are interested. Getting early alert done inside Canvas will encourage my peers to make better use of our LMS.

airvine
Instructure
Instructure

Alison from the Canvas X team here.

Interest and sign-ups for this fuller experiment have been great, thank you to everyone! If you provided us with the appropriate links and course start/end dates you can expect to see your students getting Nudged as soon as your course starts.

Please keep in mind: 

(1) This trial will only take place for your current course.

(2) You should not tell your students that they will be part of this experiment. In the event that they become wise to these different notifications, it’s okay to tell them that “Instructure is testing out new notifications.” If they want further details, feel free to tell them more.

(3) Nudges will appear as notifications to students, respect students’ current notification settings, and happen as the following:  

• Upcoming Assignments, for each one that’s due but has not been submitted.  
  • Late Assignments, for each one that’s graded and not yet closed.
  • Logging into Canvas, weekly at most, if they haven’t logged in for more than seven days.
  • A weekly digest of due dates specific to your course.

In other words, Nudge will be best for courses that use Canvas and have assignments that can be turned in late.  

(4) There will be a voluntary student feedback survey near the end of the trial (a survey where students can respond anonymously). We will reach out to you and ask for your help distributing the survey to your students.

If you have haven't signed up yet or know someone that may be interested in signing up now's the time to act. We will be closing the sign up on Monday August 20th.  

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I’m so excited for this!!!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

airvine‌ or  @Renee_Carney ‌.

I have a teacher asking me if: "I’m concerned about the confusion that will come (for example, when students are nudged to ask to turn in a late assignment that has the same due and until date)."

Just so I can answer the teacher. If an assignment has the same due and until dates, would the students who have not turned it in get a Nudge regarding the "late" assignment as there is not an opportunity to still turn it in? 

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

Susan,

The nudge for late assignments will only get sent after the due date has passed and the until date is at least 24 hours away. So this shouldn't happen. Sometimes however the lock date is not set correctly or different instructors have different requirements for late assignments, so the nudge is worded to the effect of "You may still be able to turn this assignment in, go here to check"

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Who do I need to contact if one of my faculty members would like to bow out of this trial because of the late policies Nudge and the confusion he believes this will cause his students? Also, he has an issue with the fact that teacher has no control of the content of the Nudge.

airvine
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Susan, 

Greg Romrell and I are good people to reach out to. If you'd like, you can reach out to your CSM and they can forward the the faculty's name/email, with that info we can remove them from the list.

Thanks so much, 

Ai.  

valentinesking
Advocate

Is there a way to check if we were accepted to be part of the Nudge LTI for Aug+?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Volunteer Window has closed.  Watch the CanvasX space of the Canvas Studio‌ for future summaries and opportunities.

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks everyone for signing up! If you successfully signed up you should get a message in Canvas later this week confirming that you are going to be participating. Nudges will then start being sent next Monday (Aug 27th)!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Deactivated user‌ - 

Who do we report issues too?

One my faculty who is in this pilot has reported that her student's (which total about 150) received a Nudge reminder with incorrect dates. The assignment and discussion were both due at 11:59pm on the 29th and the message that was sent to the students told them that the items were due on the 30th.

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

I'm the right person to talk to. I will look into it and see what happened.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Here is the Canvas Ticket Number that has all the details: 03458962

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

Susan,

I have turned off the weekly report for now. There is a bit of a weird piece of logic with the time zones that caused the issue. I will fix it today. Support will not know anything about his, as this is an experimental feature, so reach out to me with a direct message here and I will help you out.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Deactivated user‌, thank you. Please let me know when you re-enable the weekly reports. 

STUARTA
Community Member

Deactivated user‌  I am also experiencing issues with dates in my course. All of my assignments have a one week "until" date set for late submissions. I'd prefer that my students turn things in on time, but allow late submissions for a penalty. One of the nudges sent out said:

Assignments Due This Week in 'OST2836C: Microsoft Access () 72718':
- 'Meet the Class (REQUIRED)' is due on Monday (2018-08-27) 

However, the nudge email was sent out on 8/29, two days after the due date, but before the Sept. 3 late date. Will this be the norm? If so, I might have to bow out of the nudge pilot with my three courses.

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

They were turned back on today, but they only get one per week, so students should be getting them soon.

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

This has been resolved, only future assignments will show up. Thanks for bearing with us as we experiment with new features!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, will we (as Instructors) know which students got a "nudge" and the wording of the nudge they received? 

Kona

gromrell
Instructure
Instructure

As of right now, no. I could include you on the Nudge as a group message, but then you would see every single Nudge that gets sent out, which might over run your inbox. What were you thinking?

STUARTA
Community Member

Deactivated user‌ Thanks so much for the quick response! I appreciate the fix. Onward we go!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Is there a document that has an overview of how this pilot went? I only ever heard from the one faculty member who encountered the bug. What the status of this tool going system wide? Oh, and is the pilot continuing for this semester/year?

viktoriya_oliyn

What is the status of Nudge and are there plans for additional pilots or implementation? We are very much in need for a automatic notification tool like this on our campus and would appreciate any update. Thank you!

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

cms_hickss‌ or  @viktoriya_oliyn ‌, did you ever find out the latest news on Nudge?  @GregoryBeyrer ‌, did you participate in the Fall 2018 pilot?

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

@Sylvia_Ami  - I never did hear back.

GregoryBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @Sylvia_Ami . Thanks for asking about my participation. I was interviewed about it but did not receive any final report from Instructure. I heard recently that Instructure is building Nudge to make it more personalized but there was nothing more than that. Hopefully they will have something to announce at InstructureCon.