Possibilities for User Experience of Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes Migration

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

User Experience of Content Migration from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes

If you’ve been wondering what we’re considering for content migration to support the Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Timeline, look no further! As with all of our new features, we need to ensure we understand user needs and the impact we would have along the way. That’s where your feedback here plays a vital role. 

Instructure is focused on providing a minimally impactful transition for the majority of users. Right now we envision this as a “seamless migration”. The objective would be to migrate content in the flow of your normal course/class building. 

Seamless migration would leverage common creation scenarios as an opportunity to automatically migrate content. You can expect content migration tools to be completed as part of our Phase 1 milestone commitment to customers. At the bottom of the post the slides provide a deeper dive into those different pathways through the transition period.

Here is what we are considering, but need your input. 

Already have a previous course you want to keep using in the future?

• Copy Course from one to another (Master, Sandbox Course, Blueprint or Single Course)

If you use the Settings → Course Copy, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the copy process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained.

Creating a new course or course shell SIS created and need to add prior content? 

•  Import from Other Course

If you use the Settings → Import Course, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the import process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically without extra steps. Course relationship to the bank maintained. 

• QTI Import 

No change to user experience. 

•  Migrate

No change to user experience. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained. 

• Send to/ Copy to 

If you use the Send to or Copy to features, these will behave exactly like Migrate does currently. One by one, a quiz can be shared with a user or copied into a different course and would automatically become a New Quiz. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically.

• API Imported

Adding content to your quiz programmatically through an API?  Will become available with Public API 

• Commons Direct Import

To be addressed immediately following Prevent Classic Quiz Creation

• Third Party .zip files

Still evaluating

Outside of seamless migration, are there other paths you use that we should consider? One case we’ve heard from another post was the mention of courses that are either ongoing or exist for many years. I need you; before that point, I was not aware of the circumstance. To best serve you, I want to know about these scenarios. Please add your comments.

Supporting Materials:

Walk Through Slide

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

53 Comments
BrandiGranett
Community Explorer

When will the migrate to New Quizzes on course copy feature be working? The option is there, but the migration doesn't work? 

Also, when will you be able to export new Quizzes to the Commons or another instance of Canvas?

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for all of the feedback! We are going in the direction outlined above for content migration. In the next few weeks, I'll post the specifics about what you can expect, on the product blog. 

I will do my best to circle back and answer the outstanding questions as well, but am closing this thread for new comments. Anything new should be added to the Q&A post

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni