Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Q&A

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure
8 178 20K

You may have additional questions and comments after reading the Classic Quiz Sunsetting Timeline.  This post is intended to provide some insight into the Instructure perspective, answer any outstanding questions, discuss any of your concerns and facilitation customer planning. 

Why is Instructure planning the transition now?

It’s true that New Quizzes does not do exactly what Classic Quizzes has done, just as you can say that Classic Quizzes doesn’t do everything that New Quizzes does. Now is the time to move our focus toward getting everyone aligned and dreaming of the same possibilities. Yes, there will be ongoing work. With your help in raising your needs, we will harmonize those with the current New Quizzes functionality or needed improvements. Possible improvements should not, however, prevent forward movement of all institutions to New Quizzes.

Now is the time to plan a move because already 50% of quiz volume is through New Quizzes! Even with this trend, we are still seeing support volume for New Quizzes at 5x LESS than Classic Quizzes. New Quiz and Classic Quiz bug reports have actually been fairly even over the past year.  In New Quizzes we’ve even added redundancies to support key areas such as grade passback. Sunsetting Classic Quizzes will give our developers the ability to focus entirely on New Quiz improvements.  

What happens if Instructure misses their deadlines on key features like API access, migration, LTI integrations, etc.? Will institutions just have less time to prepare? Or will the deprecation date be pushed back?

To ask for you to plan a Phase 2 transition (July 2022), we commit to development milestones of completing Public API access and Bulk Migration from Classic to New Quizzes at the close of Phase 1. In the lead-up to these milestones, you will be informed of the progress through community blog posts at a quarterly cadence as well as your Customer Success Managers. 

If these critical tools do not meet that date, we will not force a transition at the initially planned date. Instructure will provide a pathway for Classic Quizzes to seamlessly become New Quizzes and you will have 6 months to manage the change at your institution. We understand the administrative burden that change management presents to you as you support education. If this should happen, we will engage customers and reassess timelines.

What about parity? New quizzes should be completely developed before we announce the end of life of classic quizzes.

Read our blog post: Bodankers and Botanical Gardens – Why innovative products can’t be parity products

How do I know what things I use in classic quizzes will work in New Quizzes?

Read the post  New Quizzes Feature Comparison to see an Updated Classic to New Quiz at Sunset Comparison which outlines committed functionality by the time of  transition.

What are the expectations for classic quizzes behavior? (for example, is it just going to be inaccessible via the UI, but can still download and migrate Classic quizzes to New quizzes? Will we give schools bulk download/migrate options for Classic quizzes?

A Phase 1 commitment will be to support bulk migration.

In the initial Phase 2, current courses which have not concluded will be available for quiz takers to assess against. As soon as a course closes, the Classic Quiz will be view only. Throughout Phase 2 Classic Quizzes will still be viewable in the user interface. Users will still be able to download, export, or copy to a New Quiz.

In Phase 3, the user interface reaches the end of life. Users can copy Classic Quiz content to New Quizzes via course copy, but the Classic Quiz settings and questions will not be viewable from Canvas. 

For those faculty who do not teach during every term, how will they be impacted if they can't migrate their quizzes right away? Will they have to have API knowledge to do this?

Bulk Migration will be a one-time event. After that, if a copied course includes a Classic Quiz, the quiz will automatically be created as a New Quizzes using the original Classic Quiz source information from the database.  As every course is copied in the future, the Classic Quiz will automatically become a New Quiz. Therefore, the teacher only needs to find the prior course and copy.  

What will reporting look like once classic quizzes are deprecated?

There are tools available to New Quizzes with regard to reporting. One approach will be to utilize Canvas Data 2, which includes New Quizzes. Additionally, when the APIs are made publicly available, you will also be able to access data for your own local, custom reports. Outcomes and Item Analysis are available in New Quizzes and Instructure will prioritize the need to download these reports in the coming year.

178 Comments
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@hesspe Sorry Peter, I was out sick last week. You seem to have figured it out. We are waiting for the new permissions level work on the canvas roadmap before we plan that work to integrate in New Quizzes. 

@dbutter7 Blueprint sync is a milestone commitment on our Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Timeline. Math in New Quizzes will match Classic Quizzes with the New RCE integration which is under development. Item Bank Sharing was recently improved so that Banks can be shared with a course. @sharris Unpublished on copied quizzes is not intended functionality and will be addressed this year as part of the migration work. 

cdoherty
Community Member

@memrys Perfectly said.

memrys
Community Member

Thank you @SuSorensen, but do you have a list of completed changes to New Quizzes, rather than posts talking about future changes? Because I'm sure there have been updates to the feature but it looks the same as it always has to me... I cannot recall any improvements that have been made (though I believe some have been).

This is likely my memory playing tricks on me, surfacing the bad changes (like when clicking a quiz stopped going to the actual quiz and started going to the Assignment entry instead), and forgetting the implemented improvements. It would certainly help New Quizzes perception of progress if you could highlight a changelog of the successfully deployed improvements over the years, filtered to just this product.

cvera1
Community Member
A followup question to this is with the automated bulk migration planned where classic quizzes will be converted to new quizzes format, is the automated bulk migration process like "Exporting your classic quiz and importing it as a New Quiz" or is it like the "Migrate" tool/feature. If this bulk process is like using the "migrate" tool, then any classic quizzes with question groups may not be converted correctly/be missing questions in the New Quizzes version. If the bulk migration is like the process of Exporting a quiz and importing it, then it will retain the question groups as question sets in New quizzes format and will create item banks for each question set automatically. I'm just wondering what the results would be for the various formats that can be found across quizzes and how will we communicate about this bulk migration and potential editing needed.
rhenri24
Community Member

Echoing and adding to @cvera1's comments. I understand Instructure is going to great lengths to make sure the migration from Classic to New Quizzes goes as smoothly as possible, but inevitably some question types won't migrate as smoothly as others (as @SuSorensen says above, they are two different tools after all). I was wondering what resources Instructure is planning on creating and sharing that would walk users through the migration processes, especially for question types that are known to not migrate as cleanly. For example, a document to go through what instructors must do when migrating a Multiple dropdown menu questions in Classic to the new format in New Quizzes to make sure the question still works as intended. Having guides that go through what is needed to make sure the migrated question is usable is essential and would save our institution (and many others I imagine) from creating these as internal resources.   

milesl
Community Contributor

Classic quizzes support exporting to a format that can be used by other LMSs.

Is there a plan to support new quiz exports in a standard format that allows this interoperability? Many of our instructors teach at multiple institutions using different LMSs, and are much more likely to invest their time in using a tool if it's portable.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

@lgarmire Have a look at the comments in this thread about issues with LaTex transfer from Old to New Quizzes - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Migrating-LaTex-formula-from-Classic-Quiz-t...

memrys
Community Member

I couldn't find a list of enhancements to New Quizzes anywhere... so I made my own. I went through the product release notes and compiled this:

• 2021-07 Bugfix: Past Due Message and Student Submissions
  • 2021-05 Bugfix: Late Assignments and Matching Due and Until Dates
  • 2021-05 Update: Concluded Course Grading Message
  • 2021-04 Update: Save and Build Button Workflow
  • 2021-04 Update: Return Button Workflow
  • 2021-03 Bugfix: Module Items
  • 2021-03 Bugfix: Peer Review Settings
  • 2020-12 Bugfix: Return Button and Chrome
  • 2020-12 Bugfix: One Question at a Time and No Answer Selection
  • 2020-12 Bugfix: Until Date and Quiz Access
  • 2020-09 Update: Quiz Questions Copy
  • 2020-05 Bugfix: Direct Share Copy
  • 2020-03 Bugfix: MasteryPaths Link
  • 2020-03 Bugfix: Direct Share
  • 2020-03 Bugfix: Regraded Quiz Question Failure and Zero Grade
  • 2020-01 Update: Access Code Masking
  • 2019-09 Update: Terminology
  • 2019-07 Bugfix: Past Due Dates

Overall, six added features (a few of which feel very minor) over more than two years feels rather lackluster. I do appreciate that work has proceeded, but the pace feels glacial. I know this was exacerbated by the ownership transfer of Instructure, but that still doesn't give me confidence that all the problems with New Quizzes (many of which are not slated to be fixed, ever, because they are related to its implementation as an LTI) will be resolved by the time old Quizzes are axed.

venitk
Community Champion

Hi @SuSorensen , I hope you're feeling better. 

When you have time and have caught up, it would be helpful to get an update on the timeline and the migration process, specifically on what "Bulk Migration" is and what it means that it's a "one-time event" and approximately what sort of clean up we can expect to do after the migration.  

Context so you can get a "boots on the ground' view as to why I'm asking now about something that won't happen for 4 months: 

If all of our classic quizzes will suddenly flip to be new quizzes in December 2021 (I'm not saying this is what will happen, I'm saying IDK if that's what you mean by "one time event") we're probably going to need to hire a student worker to help us go through all of our January term courses to make sure those quizzes still work, work with instructors to tweak the ones that don't work, and help prep our Spring courses, which means we probably should get that paperwork started very soon since HR takes so long and we'll need to train the kid.

Like most of academia, we've also been impacted by the Great Resignation, and this is, quite frankly, the most frantic working environment I've experienced in over 20 years, worse even than last spring/summer. The more future work we can anticipate and plan for now, the better. 

The above probably applies to most higher ed institutions in the US. For us, personally, we also have a major training that we offer our faculty every January, but if we're going to have to be checking and tweaking every quiz in every course and only have a couple weeks to do that before the spring term starts, we might need to consider majorly scaling back or even canceling that meeting, and we're about to start planning that thing. 

In other words, I know tech people plan quarterly, but we plan 6-12 months at a time.

Anyway, I've appreciated knowing how things work behind the current at Instructure, so I hope this peak into our work timelines has been helpful. It was certainly shared with the best of intentions.

tl;dr: No pressure, understand IT development works on a different timeline than HE, but... we sorta need to know what to expect pretty soon so we can plan for it. 🙂   

cdoherty
Community Member

@SuSorensen Is the A portion of this Q&A blog post over or are things just slowing down? I posted questions a few weeks ago that I would like answered. If there's an interval at which you will be posting updates, it would be helpful to know what that interval is.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@cdoherty 
The transition timeline will not communicate all of the feature work. Instructure usually communicates committed roadmap items in three month segments. Since there are several do not proceed with transition if this feature is not completed items, I have decided to communicate those in the timeline as milestones. With the exception of surveys, all other feature needs will be considered and may be completed before or after the transition. The remaining ideas will be completed in priority order with feedback from the community. So, yes, bulk download of submission files, designer & observer roles fall into that category. 

- Is there an easy way to share Item Banks with the rest of the teachers/admins in the course without having to select them one by one?

See the improved Item Banks work described here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/New-Quizzes-Item-Banks-Management/ba-p/463604. Teachers/Admins can share with an entire course/account and the appropriate permissions will be inherited for all at once. 

I do not believe matching was intended to remain all or nothing for points. This is high on our priorities list. When we are within 3 months of release it will be on the roadmap. 

Thank you for the feedback on New Quizzes workflow experience. We do intent to consolidate all settings to one location. 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@memrys Instructure knows that we need to make it easier to find information about new development added. We're actually assessing better ways to communicate all of the changes. It looks like you found the deploy notes information.

Some of the more impactful changes we've finished this year are:

Modules Support Adding New Quizzes 

In Module Progression for New Quizzes  

New Quizzes: Item Banks Management 

The Much Anticipated Printing Quizzes Option 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@milesl We're looking into the best way to do this. It won't be exactly how Classic Quizzes handled moving content but I completely understand that this is critical to get content in from other LMS formats. 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@venitk @cvera1 @rhenri24 I'm back on the mend, but not 100% yet! 

I'm finishing up validation of the high level migration experience. I want to make sure I'm capturing all the various workflow pathways of creating quiz content. I will use this as a basis to talk through what the experience will be like for various roles. When data migration is available, we aren't going to auto run anything. Each institution will still be in control. 

You can expect a post, which takes into account your questions, in September.  

matthewthomas
Community Member

@SuSorensen 

Thank you for the feature comparison chart.

I am greatly disturbed to see that there appears to be no plan to implement partial credit for matching questions. That is one of the reasons that I gave up on using New Quizzes at all for the time being. That really is a necessary feature to include. I am concerned that some of the basic functionality of Classis Quizzes will be left in the dustbin when New Quizzes are our only option.

Also, the chart appears to indicate that Multiple Answer questions will somehow handle partial credit differently from Classic to New. Classic has an 'x' in the box, while New has check marks. I didn't see any note about what the 'x' means. What will change there?

Thanks,
Matt

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @matthewthomas I can understand your concern. We know that partial credit/points is a top priority and we will continue to work through those. Every new feature we're planning to develop in the future is not included on that comparison chart. Generally Instructure communicates features when we are fairly certain about how, what and when it will be available to users - which falls about 3 months prior to release. In the comparison, I have not noted everything that we're hoping to have available by transition, but am limiting these to items are on the current roadmap (3 months) or milestones discussed in the Classic Quiz Sunsetting Timeline.

As the roadmap is continually updated and features are released for New Quizzes, I will update the comparison chart. 

There are some differences in how New Quizzes and Classic Quizzes handle partial points on multiple ... I'm not sure if we have a great way of communicating that on the comparison. I'll switch to a check instead. 

mhargis

Greetings,

I have some questions from my colleagues that I hop you can answer. I've looked through the forum, and haven't seen an answer for them (or I missed it..)

1. Our school utilizes Honorlock as our proctoring tool for online assessments, and New Quizzes' current deployment as an external tool prevents us from enabling Honorlock. When Classic Quizzes is no more, will how New Quizzes integrates into Canvas change? Or will we have to look for a new proctoring service?
  2. Migrating Question Banks.
    1. Many of our faculty build assessments using questions banks, then tell Classic Quizzes to pull from those banks. This question has appeared several times, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer of if we will be able to migrate our banks over if the question group isn't built inside the quiz itself. Is there a more efficient solution on the horizon, or are we looking down the barrel of copy-and-paste/rebuilding years worth of work?
jsowalsk
Advocate

@mhargis We have the same exact concerns as you. Fingers crossed. 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @mhargis and @mhargis Honorlock is a third party vendor, so this post (Current and future state of New Quizzes integration with third party vendors ) will apply to that situation. You'll hear more from my teammate Tamas shortly as they work through design and proof of concept. 

Item 2 is something that we will deliver as part of the migration tooling. Engineering has been working on technical aspects to set this up in the flow of the other feature work they've done this year. We're getting closer and it will include user experience considerations. I'll add a post looking for feedback on our initial ideas for Question Banks to Item Banks user experience specifically in the next couple of months. 

hesspe
Community Champion

@SuSorensen I thought I remembered that there was going to be an Item Analysis download (CSV) but NOT a Student Analysis download (or any Student Analysis report).  But when I checked the feature comparison table recently it seemed like there would not be an Item Analysis CSV either, but I thought the table was unclear on that.  Can you clear up my confusion?  

MARISSASCHRADER
Community Member

@SuSorensen Our district has been using rubrics to grade New Quizzes for about two years and have not had many problems with using the rubric grade to override the new quizzes score. We have experienced issues with this and now do not have the option to add a rubric to the quizzes. Not being able to use rubrics to override a grade makes outcomes and the learning mastery side of the gradebook unusable. Canvas was sold to us as method to support our standards based grading initiative and this is a major issue. To have a tool (New Quizzes) that does not have the option of grading on a rubric but has for the past two years is unacceptable. There are other districts that are in the middle ground of transitioning to standards based grading and need to issue a traditional letter grade, but are standards referenced--our district cannot be the only ones trying to use this method. The fact that we have been able to add and grade on a rubric for two years has resulted in course creations 7-12, communication to parents and students, and a grading system around summatives in New Quizzes that will need to be completely revamped. This is an issue that absolutely needs to be revisited and rubrics must be reinstated. Please help!

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure

Hi everybody,

If you or your institution is affected by New Quizzes API please check out my post about a sample documentation of the API and leave your feedback there. 

LynnLease

Matching questions have caused our students issues. When they select an answer from the dropdown box and then come back to change their answer, it is not intuative that they need to actually clear out that downdown box in order to see all the options. They need to place the cursor into the dropdown and backspace/delete or select and delete the first answer they selected to see all of the answer options. Is this a bug that will be worked out? THANK YOU!

clagrange
Community Member

Can students access "all files" when using the RCE in New Quizzes, which could include content that might assist the student with the assessment?

LauraSpencer
New Quizzes is a mess. 

Here are the issues our teachers are seeing right now: 

- Results don't show up on the teacher To Do list
- Auto-populates to zero in the gradebook
- Doesn't tell you who needs grading when you are in SpeedGrader 
- Matching option doesn't work - often booting students completely out of the quiz. It requires teachers to remove random quotes in the coding backend, according to Panda Pros. 

It's disappointing that we have migrated to the new tool and now find teachers drowning in issues that no one seems to be able to resolve. 
CarsonEllzey

Hello! I have a question, and I hope that I can find the right words to ask it correctly, lol. 

Our institution uses template shells for our Online program. These templates get copied over to teaching shells each term by our team. The Online program instructors never have access to the templates, therefore our team will be responsible for all the migrating of Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes in the templates. I have seen information before which indicates that New Quizzes/Item Banks are "attached" to the person who built them rather than being "attached" to the course they are housed in. If our team creates/migrates quizzes in these template shells, will the various instructors who teach our Online courses be able to fully interact with the quizzes in the teaching shells? 

If this has already been addressed or is no longer accurate, please forgive me. I am just trying to make sure I understand everything correctly! Thank you! 

cdoherty
Community Member

@SuSorensen With the discontinuation of the survey function, that has also eliminated the ability to have anonymous submission of work. This is essential for law schools everywhere. The current 'Graders cannot view student names' is not remotely adequate to handle anonymous submission. It only hides student names in SpeedGrader, but a teacher can easily connect submissions and audit logs to student names in the Moderate page. Does Instructure plan to address the need for anonymous submission in any way? If not, please list the fact that you are discontinuing true anonymous submission in the feature comparison chart, along with discontinuing surveys.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@hesspe CSV downloads and a Student Analysis report are not listed as included there since they are not milestone commitments and not planned to be added this fall. Please continue to watch the comparison chart as we update with planned features every three months. 

@clagrange  I think if students try hard enough, they would be able to find ways to do this. To answer you directly, they can search for any document on their computer to upload. I hesitate to say more in case any peeping students are given ideas 😉 

@LynnLease I just saw reports of the behavior you describe with matching questions not showing all options if there has been a prior selection. I agree that this is a bug and would detrimentally impact quiz takers. Bug fixes are released every two weeks.

@CarsonEllzey You are correct in your summary of current behavior. Currently, when it becomes a New Quiz, you can manually share the Item Bank with the course and it will then behave the same as it did with Classic. All teachers would inherit the same share rights the course share included. As part of our migration work we're thinking copied courses migrating from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes would automatically share the new Item Bank with the copied course. 

@LauraSpencer the topics you raise are high in our list of priorities and I'm collaborating with other teams to add these features. This is the first time however that I've heard of " Matching option doesn't work - often booting students completely out of the quiz. It requires teachers to remove random quotes in the coding backend, according to Panda Pros." Would you be open to sending me a note to summarize what you are experiencing? 

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@cdoherty  I'm not familiar with the specifics of how law schools everywhere use anonymous submissions, and what outcome they get from the anonymous submissions. I'm not sure if this is useful or not, however, Canvas is working on anonymity in discussions (discussions can be graded or ungraded). I do understand your point about the impact to quizzes and will add that clarity to the comparison. 

cdoherty
Community Member

@SuSorensen The Law School requires anonymous submission for final exams, so posting in discussions where other students can see it would not be an adequate substitute.

thomas_maerke

The last Q&A statement doesn't appear accurate, from what I can see in our instance. Student Analysis reports are NOT available for New Quizzes, only Quiz and Item Analysis Reports are available for New Quizzes. If we've missed something in our instance, please point me in the direction to a guide or post regarding how to access Student Analysis Reports in New Quizzes. 

canvas reports new quizzes.PNG

Otherwise, I would love to hear the timeline regarding adding Student Analysis Reports to New Quizzes, and the ability to download those reports. 

Thanks!

amg10k
Community Member

@SuSorensen You replied to @clagrange's question "Can students access "all files" when using the RCE in New Quizzes, which could include content that might assist the student with the assessment?"  

I was wondering something similar.  When using the RCE in Classic Quizzes, students can click DocumentsRecord/Upload Media, etc. and choose to submit from their Canvas User Files area instead of uploading a new file from their computer.  This can be especially helpful for rural distance students who have internet access but with much slower speeds or a worse infrastructure than classmates in a large city.

New Quizzes has the option to upload new files through the RCE, but there are no question types (with or without the RCE) that allow students to access their Canvas User Files (documents, pptx, media, etc.) for things that they've "pre-uploaded" to their Canvas account.

LauraSpencer

@SuSorensen - Here's the info we got from the Canvas support team:

"I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with new quiz matching questions that goes blank.

Please note quotations added to answer text in matching questions breaks things on the new quiz, to resolve this you can remove the quotations on the answers."

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

It was Case #07996905 in case you can access it through your resources.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

A new post, requesting feedback on an idea about how it would be best to migrate content from Classic to New Quizzes in "bulk" and not quiz by quiz can be found here:

Possibilities for User Experience of Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes Migration

marykot

"Question banks not related to the quizzes will not move over." Some questions maybe be used in different semesters. Is there any way to move over all of the question banks?
Thanks

dschuma
Community Member

We received a report from an instructor who claimed the quiz migration changed a question group with static questions to an item bank.  What irritated him was that he could not edit the questions in the quiz and had to find the item bank.  In Classic Quizzes he was able to simply display and edit the questions from the group.  

Is there documentation outlining the nuances of migrating a classic quiz to new quizzes?  I'm curious if there is a compilation of known nuances I can share with our faculty and support teams.

Thanks.

JustinLMatthews
Community Member

Can we please bring back "Grade by Question" in New Quizzes?

One way to grade consistently is to mark all the same questions together, then move on to the next question. MANY instructors prefer to grade in this fashion, and this option should ABSOLUTELY be available to us using Canvas. This is an option in the old quiz module, so why not in the new one?

I would absolutely appreciate knowing the background of this decision, thanks @SuSorensen!

milesl
Community Contributor

The timeline states that classic quizzes cannot be created beginning July 2022.

Can existing classic quizzes be edited after this date? If so, when will the ability to edit/modify existing classic quizzes go away?

khahn1
Community Member

After three years of instructors begging for fixes for the partial credit issues, countless hours of wasted time that could have been and could be better spent on other course related tasks or with families, and thousands of frustrated students who don’t understand why they were given a zero when they miss one out of 10 matches (as an example) taking out those frustrations on instructors who have no control, I would think fixing the partial credit issues would be a bigger priority, yet it isn’t even listed in your timeline. How can anyone at Canvas think the lack of partial credit is beneficial to instructors or students? How can this not be a priority? Canvas designers are legitimately wasting our time and deliberately frustrating both faculty and students by ignoring this issue. I see that you replied to someone else with a vague “not everything we’re working on is listed” response, but I’m sorry, that’s not good enough for those of us who are extremely frustrated with the situation. Why is this not on the timeline when it is so important to so many? How do we really know this is being worked on at all? Why does the system have the ability to indicate which portions of the student responses are correct and incorrect for these question types yet not have the ability to apply the partial credit? Please fix your timeline to include the partial credit fix so we at least can see that it is a priority to Canvas to fix the careless mistake of leaving partial credit out of the New Quiz Feature. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Partial-Credit-for-quot-Matching-quot-quot-Cat...

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Partial-Credit-for-Matching-Questi...

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @milesl Great question! I think this is a case  where I had good intentions but haven't communicated it well so far. Classic Quizzes can be edited until Phase 3, at which time students will not be able to assess against Classic either. I will be sure to make this clear in the documentation and timelines. 👍

@dschuma Our documentation and learning teams as well as customer success managers are working on a "transition toolkit" to help support teachers and staff. We recognize that something straightforward like I did XYZ in Classic Quizzes, how do I do that in New Quizzes, would be helpful. We'll being sharing materials in October. 

MARISSASCHRADER
Community Member

@khahn1 @SuSorensen 

I field a load of complaints about partial credit in my school district as well. This would also be a priority for us. Please, please elevate this issue on the timeline for a quick and timely resolution. Thank you! 

Jul_Cro
Community Member

Jumping in this conversation about the bulk upload using Respondus. 

@chofer and @mjennings 

I had this problem too at first. Funny, I came about it because our institution recently switched to 2FA and I couldn't figure out how to get Respondus to get to the dual authentication... anywho... 

You have to make sure that you choose the File Format, "QTI XML zip File using IMS Content Packaging 1.1.3" when saving the file in Respondus. See this Respondus help article: Manual Import of Respondus 4 files into Instructure Canvas. 

saveQTIfileRespondus.png

Then when importing into Canvas, as long as the New Quizzes feature was on, I was able to upload the quiz as a new quiz using the QTI zip option in Import Content.

Our college is taking the approach that if anyone comes to us needing help with Quizzes, we guide them to migrating that quiz to New Quizzes now so they have some practice. 

Some extra background. One of our disciplines has 23 chapter quizzes that we are importing into Canvas using this method. It is a lot. The publisher provided a spreadsheet of all the quizzes. I am figuring out a way to format it using a CSV file properly formatted in this Community problem. Once I fed it into Respondus to convert to a QTI file, I was good to go. We chose this instead of formatting the Word versions of the quizzes because of the need for feedback for each question. I am now in the process of importing those 23 quizzes in Excel format into the properly formatted CSV file attempting to use some of the minimal database skills I have. Next, I will give the 23 QTI files to the faculty I am supporting to import into Canvas. I am having them import as New Quizzes so they can get used to the format for their next cohort. 

Hope some of that helps! 

asyversen

Will graded surveys still be possible once classic quizzes is sunset? I rely on graded surveys heavily in my program and getting rid of them as an assignment option would be extremely detrimental.

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure

Hello everybody,

Please fill out this short survey about your priorities on use cases regarding New Quizzes tooling (external or developed by your institution). It would help me understand which use cases (and related API functions) are the most important and pressing.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

We're starting to build out a transition toolkit to help support faculty and staff through the change management process of Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes.

These are just first steps, but you can bookmark the below page and find all the goodies as we build out the repository.

New Quizzes Transition Toolkit

troy_challenger

We have many language and linguistics courses that use embedded audio in their assessment questions built using Classic quizzes.

As instructional designers, we have tried a variety of methods to migrate these questions into New Quiz format, without success.

Canvas Support reports "it looks like this is not currently possible to convert that question type."

Other than moving all audio files to an outside server, and recreating all questions to use external links for audio, does anyone have a suggestion for how to migrate existing Canvas quizzes with audio?

mjennings
Advocate

@SuSorensen On the toolkit page, the links to the two checklists are not working. When should those be available? 

crafte
Community Champion

@mjennings  - I found both checklists when I clicked the links below the webinar recording. 

Admin check list

Instructor check list

mjennings
Advocate

@crafte Thanks!!

troy_challenger

Another issue we are having is how to move New Quizzes from one college to another?  We have instructors who have developed their courses in Canvas at other institutions and although we are able to import their course backups, this does not bring over the New Quizzes.   We suspect this is because the New Quiz Item Banks are tied to a user account and not to the course.  Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.  Respondus does not yet have a solution either.