Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Q&A

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure
8 178 20.8K

You may have additional questions and comments after reading the Classic Quiz Sunsetting Timeline.  This post is intended to provide some insight into the Instructure perspective, answer any outstanding questions, discuss any of your concerns and facilitation customer planning. 

Why is Instructure planning the transition now?

It’s true that New Quizzes does not do exactly what Classic Quizzes has done, just as you can say that Classic Quizzes doesn’t do everything that New Quizzes does. Now is the time to move our focus toward getting everyone aligned and dreaming of the same possibilities. Yes, there will be ongoing work. With your help in raising your needs, we will harmonize those with the current New Quizzes functionality or needed improvements. Possible improvements should not, however, prevent forward movement of all institutions to New Quizzes.

Now is the time to plan a move because already 50% of quiz volume is through New Quizzes! Even with this trend, we are still seeing support volume for New Quizzes at 5x LESS than Classic Quizzes. New Quiz and Classic Quiz bug reports have actually been fairly even over the past year.  In New Quizzes we’ve even added redundancies to support key areas such as grade passback. Sunsetting Classic Quizzes will give our developers the ability to focus entirely on New Quiz improvements.  

What happens if Instructure misses their deadlines on key features like API access, migration, LTI integrations, etc.? Will institutions just have less time to prepare? Or will the deprecation date be pushed back?

To ask for you to plan a Phase 2 transition (July 2022), we commit to development milestones of completing Public API access and Bulk Migration from Classic to New Quizzes at the close of Phase 1. In the lead-up to these milestones, you will be informed of the progress through community blog posts at a quarterly cadence as well as your Customer Success Managers. 

If these critical tools do not meet that date, we will not force a transition at the initially planned date. Instructure will provide a pathway for Classic Quizzes to seamlessly become New Quizzes and you will have 6 months to manage the change at your institution. We understand the administrative burden that change management presents to you as you support education. If this should happen, we will engage customers and reassess timelines.

What about parity? New quizzes should be completely developed before we announce the end of life of classic quizzes.

Read our blog post: Bodankers and Botanical Gardens – Why innovative products can’t be parity products

How do I know what things I use in classic quizzes will work in New Quizzes?

Read the post  New Quizzes Feature Comparison to see an Updated Classic to New Quiz at Sunset Comparison which outlines committed functionality by the time of  transition.

What are the expectations for classic quizzes behavior? (for example, is it just going to be inaccessible via the UI, but can still download and migrate Classic quizzes to New quizzes? Will we give schools bulk download/migrate options for Classic quizzes?

A Phase 1 commitment will be to support bulk migration.

In the initial Phase 2, current courses which have not concluded will be available for quiz takers to assess against. As soon as a course closes, the Classic Quiz will be view only. Throughout Phase 2 Classic Quizzes will still be viewable in the user interface. Users will still be able to download, export, or copy to a New Quiz.

In Phase 3, the user interface reaches the end of life. Users can copy Classic Quiz content to New Quizzes via course copy, but the Classic Quiz settings and questions will not be viewable from Canvas. 

For those faculty who do not teach during every term, how will they be impacted if they can't migrate their quizzes right away? Will they have to have API knowledge to do this?

Bulk Migration will be a one-time event. After that, if a copied course includes a Classic Quiz, the quiz will automatically be created as a New Quizzes using the original Classic Quiz source information from the database.  As every course is copied in the future, the Classic Quiz will automatically become a New Quiz. Therefore, the teacher only needs to find the prior course and copy.  

What will reporting look like once classic quizzes are deprecated?

There are tools available to New Quizzes with regard to reporting. One approach will be to utilize Canvas Data 2, which includes New Quizzes. Additionally, when the APIs are made publicly available, you will also be able to access data for your own local, custom reports. Outcomes and Item Analysis are available in New Quizzes and Instructure will prioritize the need to download these reports in the coming year.

178 Comments
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

For those of you interested in Outcomes alignment of migrated quizzes, please provide feedback for the Outcomes PM here: Input Opportunity: Classic to New Quiz Outcome Alignment Migration

venitk
Community Champion

@SuSorensen , does the 7/2022 cutoff for creating classic quizzes apply to copying a course that already has classic quizzes in it? In other words, let's say I have ACCT 201, which has classic quizzes. I copy that in August 2022. Will those classic quizzes be replaced with new quizzes? 

Or, does it just prevent creating a classic quiz from scratch?

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Katie, Prevent Classic Creation will prevent creating from scratch. In that scenario, in August, you can opt out of classic quizzes automatically copying to new quizzes, so that they continue as classic quizzes. 

venitk
Community Champion

@SuSorensen I'm sooo happy to hear that! That will make our migration so much more gradual. phew!

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Excellent! That was definitely our intent, so I'm happy to hear it will support you well!

dshoff

Is the problem of not receiving partial credit for matching questions being addressed for the New Quizzes before the classic quizzes disappear?

hesspe
Community Champion

@SuSorensen 

"Prevent Classic Creation will prevent creating from scratch. In that scenario, in August, you can opt out of classic quizzes automatically copying to new quizzes, so that they continue as classic quizzes."

I agree that this is how we would hope this stage of the transition would work, and that is good news, but I hope also that Canvas makes it very plain to instructors before they click "Import" that they have this choice.  Otherwise I anticipate it will result in a lot of confusion​ in the part of our faculty Canvas users​, most of whom do their course site imports themselves.  So here's hoping that the further good news is that the Import Content interface will make that option very clear, up front.

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Peter, this is very useful feedback. Thanks so much for sharing that your faculty will be those primarily importing. We're investigating the User Experience for this now. Do you have any faculty who may be inclined to meet with us and share their experience and opinions?

mjennings
Advocate

Not to answer for Peter, but since I have a similar concern I would say that I am sure I have faculty that would be will to discuss the issue, but in my experience, those that are willing to contribute are not the ones that I worry about struggling with the transition. It is faculty that never participate in training, delete emails without reading and only come in once they break things that keep me up at night.

thomas_maerke

@SuSorensen Just tagging onto @hesspe response about the need to ensure high levels of clarity to the importing process, as Course instructors are doing the importing where I am as well. Similarly, and it may be addressed in other locations, but the functionality of Blueprint Courses that don't have Quizzes locked often involve instructors importing (and then editing) Quizzes from previously closed yet still accessible Courses. Still, that would be an import of a Quiz, no different than any other import process, but I guess I'm wondering how the Blueprint to Associated Courses Settings might impact the options to Import as Classic vs. New. 

NariMiller

I am commenting to add my voice here. Downloading student-specific responses to each quiz as .csv files allowed for me to add nuance to partial credit, correct scoring issues easily, and check similarities to short answer questions that suggested a common resource or oversharing during individual activities. The absence of this feature in New Quizzes will strongly affect the utility of Canvas as an assessment tool, which is unfortunate because there are few alternatives. 

Great to see that " Additionally, when the APIs are made publicly available, you will also be able to access data for your own local, custom reports. Outcomes and Item Analysis are available in New Quizzes and Instructure will prioritize the need to download these reports in the coming year."

Where can I find more details about when this will be implemented?

JDK

I commented on another thread but wanted to say it here too. Having an option to download student responses or at least some way to get responses out that doesn't involve clicking through every single person on speed grader and copy/pasting out is necessary. If you provide this then any edge cases that instructors come up with can be done outside of canvas. 

DrJHatt

Although I am liking and using New Quizzes for my courses, I still see various issues happening:

- Calculations for numeric response or formula questions are not giving the same accuracy as scientific calculators and this is causing students to have unexpected errors. I have flagged this with Canvas and I was told I needed to assign new quizzes to the students as modifications to allow percentage error was not working.

- Multi-part questioning would be useful in designing questions where you want to see students' workings in progress. You can do this with Fill In The Blank, but having this for formula questions would be very beneficial, especially when seeking to award partial credit where it may be due.

- Providing feedback when authoring questions is still necessary, even if many teachers are not using it. This provides an opportunity for students to engage in assessment and learning simultaneously, which is especially useful when allowing multiple attempts at a quiz.

- Creating "distracter" answers in formula questions can be incredibly helpful in targeting feedback based on an expectation of what the student likely did incorrectly when answering questions. We will likely do this in MC questions, but adding provisions for this in numeric response or formula questions can also then allow us to award partial credit in questions.

- Formula questions need to be significantly more dynamic.
   - Create realisations in real-time, not 200 at a time. Should an error occur (such as a division by zero), then alert the author about this, but also allow the student to have a new question in the meantime. 
   - Variables need to not be ranges of acceptable values only. If I want a variable to be any real number except zero because it is in the denominator, then I need to be allowed to sort this out in one question and not replicate the question each time. Any rejected values can be sorted in the programming of the question.
   - Variables in the question text need to accept formulas for values. Reverse engineering of problems from the solution back to the question is an essential skill for assessing some objectives, so this should be considered.
   - Issues pertaining to how we write expressions need to be considered. We never write "1x", but instead write just "x" and we never write "x + 0", but rather just "x". Such issues need to be resolved in the programming somehow. 

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure

Hi everyone,

If you are concerned about RCE in New Quizzes, please read this post!

mauriciolopez

Hi @SuSorensen I've read all the info about new quizzes but I can´t found how we will make a survey into the new app.

In the list of characteristics I see than there is no a development to this tool.

There will be an idea to create surveys in NQ? or gonna be deprecated this funcionality in NQ?

Tnks.

mauriciolopez

Hi @SuSorensen 

I have another question, in Classic Quizzes, we now have a new text editor that has a lot of functionalities, will this editor be migrated to NQ? with all the new features?

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@mauriciolopez there are not currently plans to create a "survey" tool, however, we're examining the ways instructors have historically used it in the past. From there, we can determine there is something we can create to fulfill the need. 

The text editor in New Quizzes will look the same as in Canvas: New RCE in New Quizzes

SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

@dshoff Yes! I know that partial points/credit on question types that are multi part are particularly important. We do plan to implement this on more question types, starting with matching. Stay tuned, we'll be sharing more shortly. 😊

asyversen

@SuSorensen What about graded surveys? I keep bringing this up and I haven't heard anything from anyone. Many of us use graded surveys because we have large masses of students to grade (think a band director with 300+ students to grade every week) and they have a very good purpose for us as well as many other teachers who may want students to answer questions with no right or wrong response. Will you be incorporating this option once classic quizzes has disappeared?

adamwarecs
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @asyversen, noticed your question earlier and thought I'd share this post from the Canvas Community:

As per the following documentation here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/New-Quizzes-Users/New-Quizzes-Feature-Comparison/ta-p/243761 , unfortunately (as the community has said), surveys are not quizzes and therefore will not be part of Quizzes work. Third-party tools can be connected to Canvas or Canvas may explore other options in the future.

Around the "answer questions with no right or wrong response", I've had success with clients using multiple-choice questions, coupled with "Vary points by answer" turned on with these Restrict Student result View switched on (show items and questions, show student response, show item feedback all selected)

If the institution is using the same question over multiple Canvas courses, adding an outcome to these questions specifically allows you to report back on results at the outcome level via outcomes export.

memrys
Community Member

@asyversen, can you clarify what makes a 'graded survey' different from a Quiz? Functionally, what is the difference other than the name you give it?

asyversen

@memrys graded surveys are when you want students to complete responses that may not have a correct or incorrect answer for a grade. In my case, I use them for a weekly practice reflection where students answer five questions about their home practice for that week. It is my single most useful tool as a band director as it allows me to have constant communication with students/parents on what they are working on at home when they only have band with me 2x a week. I go through and read each one and make feedback comments, but as long as a student completes it, regardless of their response, they earn full credit/complete. This is particularly helpful when you do this for hundreds of students each and every week and has allowed me to eliminate paper practice journals. Because there are no right or wrong answers the graded survey has been the only want to do this so far without having to go back and regrade each and every quiz.

So far my only idea as a work around will be to create weekly Google Surveys that I place into a quiz as a link to complete and have the students simply respond true or false each week in a quiz that they completed the Google Survey. It will add an extra step and not be as efficient, but I see it right now as the only solution unless Canvas keeps a graded survey option. @SuSorensen 

memrys
Community Member

I think that would be easy to accomplish @asyversen in a Quiz, by making the survey questions worth 0 points, and a simple True/False or fill-in-the-blank graded question that is an attestation. In my school, we have attestation questions like "I affirm that I have read and understood the requirements for my Clinicals." or "By typing my name below, I confirm that I have read and understood the course guidelines."

By putting all of the 'points' in the quiz into the attestation, how they answer the others becomes unimportant to the grade.

I agree that this is a workaround, but while I have many concerns with how Canvas is deploying New Quizzes and sunsetting Classic, I don't actually disagree with their stance that not every single feature of the old system must be implemented in the new one. But this is only true if they give a reasonably long amount of time for large organizations to migrate their content to alternatives; the timeline proposed is unreasonably short for this purpose.

Either New Quizzes should cover every old feature (with automated migration to workarounds as needed) or the timeline should be extended to multiple years of dual support... not a handful of months. I don't think it's reasonable to force thousands of organizations to migrate tens or hundreds of thousands of tests on their dime to a system with differing feature sets on such a short timeline.

asyversen

@memrys agreed! The thought of remaking all those quizzes for an entire school year is something that will take me several weeks and not something I want to invest so much time into until we find out for sure if graded surveys will or will not be an option moving forward. I don't like waiting, but at the same time that is SO MUCH WORK to redo potentially for no reason. 

Jul_Cro
Community Member

I will tell you that I am super frustrated by the fact that we cannot run an admin report any longer to gather our outcome results from New Quizzes. If this is not fixed, we will not be able to have instructors align account level outcomes to the quiz questions for institutional level general education student learning outcome assessment which is a requirement for HLC. The old quizzes allowed our chemistry faculty to quickly align outcomes with Question Banks and I feel like the scoring was great using the decaying average. 

ChinnyP

I'm looking for survey options as well.  Often these are anonymous.  We use Blue for course evaluations and are considering the BlueX Survey LTI.  Planning to attend this webinar on Dec 8 to learn more:   https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2946294657973442316.

Does anyone have other 3rd party suggestions?   Our campus-wide survey solution doesn't integrate with Canvas and we'd like to find something that does.  

nwilson7
Community Champion

@adamwarecs  I just saw your response to @asyversen and am extremely concerned that this is stating New Quizzes will not include a survey option, is that Instructure's official stance?  This is one of the top three must haves we listed in the 3 must haves blog that @SuSorensen started, as did several other people.  To say use a different tool is not really an option as other tools have a cost and it is something currently included in Canvas.

We have some university wide processes that rely on surveys (I appreciate your suggestion on how to accomplish this but it does not apply for us).  It is a must have for it to be open ended and automatically award points.

I am also curious about your last point: "If the institution is using the same question over multiple Canvas courses, adding an outcome to these questions specifically allows you to report back on results at the outcome level via outcomes export."  Currently connecting outcomes to quiz questions only gives data in that quiz, since it is an LTI, it does not pass to the mastery gradebook where outcomes live, so not sure what is meant there.

Thanks,

Nick

MARISSASCHRADER
Community Member

@SuSorensen 

I have instructors reporting that students do not have access to math notations (square roots, exponents, writing fractions, etc.) when doing the different fill-in-the-blank questions. They need the mathquill toolbar! This is frustrating as answers are technically not mathematically correct and teachers are trying to prep students for trigonometry and calculus. Please make the mathquill toolbar available for students as a function of New Quizzes.