Updates Coming to Google Assignments LTI 1.3

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

jess_williams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

3.png

The Google team is releasing several updates to the Google Assignments LTI 1.3 tool over the next several months that will enable the tool with the same capabilities of the old Google Apps LTI tool. 

External File Sharing

If your institution has external file sharing setting turned off, you used to get an error saying that external file sharing was not allowed outside of your domain if you tried to submit a Google file to Canvas as an assignment submission. With this update, Google Drive files up to 10 MB can be submitted to Canvas using Homework Submission, regardless of your domain settings.

This update allows Canvas as an exception and does not change your external file sharing setting. The update will be automatically rolled out to all users by the end of March. There is nothing you need to do to enable it.

Google Assignments LTI 1.3 + Canvas SpeedGrader

Towards the end of June, Google will begin rolling out an upgrade for the Google Assignments LTI 1.3 tool to have the same SpeedGrader capabilities as the old tool. When creating a new assignment with Google Assignments, instructors will have the option to grade student grade work using SpeedGrader or Google's grading interface. This will enable instructors to attach files to make a copy/template for each student and/or use Google's originality reports feature for plagiarism analysis while also providing instructors flexibility on their grading interface of choice.  

Switch to LTI 1.3

If you have not yet adopted the LTI 1.3 tool, you can turn it on in the Developer Keys in Canvas. Then choose Google Assignments (LTI 1.3) when configuring the external tool for new assignments, and make sure the submission setting is set to “online” in Canvas.

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

19 Comments
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Is Canvas planning to sunset Google Apps LTI (Cloud Assignments) now that speedgrader functionality is coming to Google Assignments? 

dbrace
Community Contributor

From New! Meet Google Assignments LTI  (originally posted in August 2020, updated in December 2020, updated again in May 2021):

How is Assignments different than Google Apps LTI?

Assignments includes all the current functionality of Google Apps LTI (excluding Collaborations, coming in Fall 2020), plus a ton of other great features.

What is the is the status of Google Assignments LTI and the ability to use Collaborations within a Canvas course shell?

Also, is Google Apps LTI deprecated?

The existing Google Apps LTI is deprecated and will be removed from Canvas on September 1, 2021. All customers should set up Google Assignments in Canvas as a replacement.

knoxd
Community Participant

Thank you so much for this update!  I know many teachers that will be doing the happy dance to have Speedgrader functionality with this Google Assignments.  

The Google Cloud Assignments have grown increasingly buggy for us.  Is there an updated plan for the deprecation of Google Cloud Assignments?

gncrum
Community Contributor

Thanks for the Update.

."..that will enable the tool with the same capabilities of the old Google Apps LTI tool."

Does this mean that the Google Assignments LTI will

-have the ability for instructors to create Collaborations with Google Slides and Sheets in addition to Google Docs

-Show the Google Drive controls and menu when a Google Drive asset is embedded in a Canvas page from the RCE? When I use the Google Assignments LTI to embed, it seems like it converts it to a Word Doc, maybe...? Here is what I see

https://www.screencast.com/t/VQeP2f7KIiV

Thanks

Greg

hlovett
Community Participant

Do these updates include allowing use of Canvas rubrics with Google assignments? Also, is the new LTI functional with collaborations? Last I heard it wasn't, but we currently still have both integrations so I can't test it. 

MARISSASCHRADER
Community Participant

@hlovett I was informed there currently is a work around that allows you to attach a rubric to the assignment... Create the new assignment and add in all details/descriptions/points, etc. Choose a submission type (like online) that allows a rubric to be attached. Attach the rubric to the assignment and save. Go back into the assignment and change the submission type to the external tool, Google Assignments LTI 1.3. Save the assignment. The rubric will "disappear," but it still there and visible in SpeedGrader. 

jess_williams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The Google Apps LTI won't be deprecated until we have feature parity. 

dbrace
Community Contributor

@jess_williams, please see the screenshot that is below from my comment above.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 5.28.17 PM.png

When will there be feature parity between Google Apps LTI and Google Assignment LTI, especially for Collaborations in Canvas?  I ask because it was previously mentioned that Collaborations would be ready in Fall 2020.

jess_williams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dbrace, you are correct that Collaborations would be the last feature to add to achieve parity. We do not have a release date on that feature at this time, but will be sure to post another update when we do.

dbrace
Community Contributor

@jess_williams, I would like to recommend updating the information that is provided at New! Meet Google Assignments LTI so that anyone that goes to it is aware that there is currently no release date for feature parity between the deprecated Google Apps LTI, new Google Assignment LTI, and Canvas Collaborations.

dbrace
Community Contributor

I just received a notification that this article has been edited by @KristinL. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.44.42 PM.png

Can someone please tell us what the edit was?

Thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @dbrace - I just added the header image at the top. We're trying to make it easier to identify which Instructure product is being discussed in the blog -- Canvas, Impact, Mastery Connect, or Elevate. 

lisa_wathen
Community Participant

@jess_williams Any updates on the upgrade for the Google Assignments LTI 1.3 tool having the same SpeedGrader capabilities as the old tool?  This blog mentions that the upgrade will come out towards the end of June?  Now that it's July 1, we are eager to get this up and running for our district by the start of the school year.  Thank you!

jess_williams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lisa_wathen The latest from the Google team is the SpeedGrader feature will be released in August. We'll put another post up as we get close to the release date with more information about exactly when it's to be available, how to adopt it, and how to keep using the older app just for Collaborations until that feature is released.

jess_williams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

New features coming tomorrow for Google Assignments LTI 1.3. Read more!

dbrace
Community Contributor

This is also from Google in their Workspace Blog.

"Choose to grade with Canvas SpeedGrader or Google Assignments"

https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2022/08/canvas-speed-grader.html

kbulman
Community Explorer

We were excited to get teachers onboard with Google Assignments LTI this year now that there is SpeedGrader capability. However, we are finding the 10MB file size restriction incredibly limiting. While most Docs are fine, student assignments created with Slides easily exceed that file size with images or embedded content on the slides. It's frustrating for teachers to be able to use SpeedGrader with Google Docs, not with Slides or other larger file type submissions. The novelty of having SpeedGrader access back wore off quickly and backfired on us when teachers discovered they still had to use Google's grading interface for assignments that used Slides. 

Is there any chance of the file size restriction going away or at least increasing the file size limit? 

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Yes, can we please get the file size restriction increased for the purpose of Google Slides?  🙏🙏🙏

Soon? I'd love to be able to tell our faculty and students that there's a fix happening in the upcoming release or currently being addressed, etc so they understand that it's only a temporary hurdle.

Thank you!

jkokladas
Community Member

Are others still having issues with student rosters using LTI assignments? We had this a lot last year so teachers stopped using it. They were excited about the updates, hoping it would fix the issue but it hasn't.

When students are assigned a Google LTI assignment, everything seems to set up fine but when teachers go to the assignment to open students work tocomment on work live, example English 7-1 reading log.... not all students in the course are listed and some students from other courses (ex. 7-3) are listed.

Also, when we click on a students work it's not always updated.  We openthe Google Doc from the teacher's Canvas assignment & it doesn't show they've made changes but when the student opened it from their Canvas you can see all the work they did.

Please help. My teachers want Google to work with live feedback in Canvas like it worked so well In Google Classroom.