Observation Report as an Assignment

rthornton
Instructure
Instructure

Learning through practice and simulation is an essential aspect of the development of expertise in the workplace. Competency Based Training is designed to allow the learner to demonstrate their ability to do something as such; RTO’s need a way to assess and record the evidence of that assessment. 

A Direct Observation (otherwise known as a Observation Report) is an assessment of a student made in real time in the workplace or in a simulated off-the-job situation that reflects the workplace. This is evidence that must be observed or witnessed by the assessor themselves. 

As such, wouldn’t it be fantastic if you could do these assessments on-the-go? This blog will help you to move away from the days of print, write, scan and into the future of electronic-based reporting.

Step 1 - Define the Observation Outcomes

Step 2 - Import the Outcomes

Step 3 - Create the Assignment

Step 4 - Create the Rubric

Step 5 - Use your Device to Assess on the Go!

Step One - Define the Observation Outcomes

As part of the development of an Observation Report in Canvas, it is important that you are able to clearly articulate what outcomes the student is required to achieve. Once you have a defined set of outcomes, it is time to create those outcomes inside of Canvas;

1. Go to the Root Account Admin Navigation and select ‘Outcomes’,

2. Develop a folder structure which will support the input of multiple types of Outcomes (see sample below),

3. Create each Outcome that you wish to place into the Observation Report (see example below),

4. Once all Outcomes have been added, return to the Canvas Course that is being worked on.

Step Two - Import the Outcomes

1. In your Canvas Course, select ‘Outcomes’ on the Course Navigation,
  2. Import the Outcomes into the Canvas Course (see example below).

Step Three - Create the Assignment

1. In your Canvas Course, select Assignmentson the Course Navigation,

2. Select ‘+’ an Assignment:

1. Enter a Title and Description,
  2. Display Mark As: Percentage,
  3. Submission Type: No Submission.

3. Select ‘Save.

Step Four - Create the Rubric 1. Select ‘+ Rubric’,

1. Add an appropriate title to ensure it is unique,
  2. Import the Outcomes that were created and imported into the Canvas Course,
  3. Select ‘Use this Rubric for Assignment Grading’ click ‘Create Rubric’. 

***If it asks you to ‘Change’ or ‘Leave Different’ select ‘Change’. This will ensure that when the assessor grades using the Rubric, it will auto-calculate a grade out of 100%. 

Step Five - Use your Device to Assess on the Go! 

10 Comments
rthornton
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @sharon4 and @chris_wyborn the videos have now been fixed for this resource! Apologies for the inconvenience caused - enjoy! 😊

sharon4
Community Explorer

Thanks so much - I have been developing like crazy - but I have a question. 

For an observation checklist to be compliant it needs to have benchmark observables to assist the Assessor with reliability and technically these should not be open to the candidate to see as we may as well tell them what to do.  

Is there a way to turn off the view long description for the candidate in the rubric so that only see the top level when they view in Grades or Marks?

Thanks Sharon

SallyB11
Community Member

@rthornton this is great but I am wondering if you could please:

review the step 2 video - it appears to be the same as the step 3 video and I need help with step 2

point me in the direction of the answer you provided to sharon4's question??

WatsonWork
Community Participant

The November video alluded to "staff" being able to submit for students. Can someone please provide info on how to do this?

Thanks,

Gareth

patricia_mccart
Community Member

Thanks for creating this @rthornton, it's going to be really helpful as I build new assessments.

One question, will the assessor be able to complete the observational checklist over a period of time, such as observing different skills or practical activities that are listed in the one document?

Regards

Patricia

MichaelBurville
Community Member

Has anyone had any luck with addressing some of the key questions posed here like:

• Is there a way to turn off the view long description for the candidate in the rubric so that only see the top level when they view in Grades or Marks?
  • will the assessor be able to complete the observational checklist over a period of time,

The top questions is particularly burning for me. I am in higher ed but we have a challenge with a subject where an objective structured clinical examination is undertaken in a simulated environment.

Assessors have a particular case study and detailed marking notes, but f they are put in a rubric the students are given too much information on what the assessor is looking for- essentially stripping away the integrity of the observation.

We need a version where the assessor can mark during the observation, but the guide is not released until after the marking

ElizabethGiles1
Community Explorer

Following

adamwarecs
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @MichaelBurville ,

Coming back to your questions:

1. Is there a way to turn off the view long description for the candidate in the rubric so that only see the top level when they view in Grades or Marks?
    A Rubric is an assessment tool for communicating expectations of quality. The key word here is "communicating" these expectations to your students (not the best place for marking notes or guidelines. I'd suggest adding this as a new idea via the Canvas Community.

2. Will the assessor be able to complete the observational checklist over a period of time?
    Off the top of my head, you could do this via:
    1. Ensure Student Assignment enhancements feature option is switched on
    2. Creating the assignment
    3. Ensure there is an available to and from date (due date might be confusing)

The workflow issues I foresee is:
    4. Communicating to users when they need to upload updates (you could use course-based announcements)
    5. The assessor will need to mark each attempt to give the student another go.
    6. What result is the student management system going to return (this is probably my biggest concern.

Feel free to reach out to your CSM to discuss these in more details.

LisaRajnik
Community Explorer

1. This Post has really helped me a lot.  I am happy to learn assessor needs to mark each attempt to give the student another chance.

2. The Student Assignments Enhancements feature option is a great tool. 

3. I agree The Student Management System hopefully will improve student access to accessability.