fosterl's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Payment Gateways in our Beta instance

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I'm hoping someone here knows for sure! We have multiple payment gateways set up, including one at our root Catalog. I want to let a potential new unit tr...

02-25-2020

Issuing API Keys for Catalog

Have other institutions issued API Keys for Catalog development? We have just done our first one, so far only in Beta. It's a bit concerning, because we have various units at our institutions in subc...

02-13-2020

How to have courses appear as "Completed" in the student dashboard

We're new to Catalog (I'll have to stop saying that one of these days), and have just had our first "session" of courses end. However, the courses appear in the student dashboard as "Not Completed". ...

02-26-2019

Notification when a student drops a Program?

Hi fellow Catalog admins! We're pretty new to Catalog, and still have just one department using Catalog. They have just asked me: If a student drops a program, who is notified? They had a student dro...

02-07-2019

How to customize our Catalog?

We're just getting started with Catalog, and are trying to figure out how to do some customizations with CSS. It would be great if anyone would be willing post examples of how they're doing this? ...

12-07-2018

How to find admins in our account?

We're thinking about adding a very limited admin role for curriculum coordinators and the like, who just need to view course content within one of our subaccounts. [Our subaccounts are arranged by Co...

12-14-2017

[People] Hide Inactive Enrollments on People Page

Student enrollments which have been set to the "inactive" status currently show up on the People page tagged with the "inactive" label. We are now using the inactive status for students who have enro...

06-08-2017

PDF download count?

Does anyone know how/if you can find out how many times a PDF file has been downloaded from a Canvas course site? I'm doubtful this is possible, but I have an instructor asking. Thanks for any pointe...

11-01-2016

Live API for Admins - No Programming Required

Tap/click map to enlarge Lindy Foster Oregon State University - HigherEd Ever wish you could get data out of Canvas that isn't in the Reports? Have you heard of the Live API? This is an in...

04-14-2016

Discussion board closed one hour early -- was this a Daylight Savings Time issue?

We had a report that a discussion board meant to close at 1159pm this past Sunday, March 13, the first day of Daylight Savings Time, closed one hour early. Has anyone else had reports of this? Or is ...

03-15-2016

[Enrollments] Allow the self-enrollment option at the sub-account level

While or for-credit courses are not eligible for self-enrollment, we also have some Human Resources training courses, and other types of non-credit courses which would benefit from self-enrollment. O...

01-26-2016

Non-existent users can now be enrolled in courses

Hi Admins! I just noticed a disconcerting change, which I think first appeared after the Jan. 9 update. We do not allow anyone in Canvas to use the +People button, except for a very specific role,...

01-21-2016

Granting developer key to student

I have had a student request for a developer key in order to do a Senior Project developing a Canvas app. His intentions are good, and this seems like a worthy project, but I have concerns about doin...

01-13-2016