rgibson1's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Blackboard Classic to Canvas Migration

Colleagues, Although I have been through this migration many years ago and under different circumstances, I'm back at another institution that is considering a switch from Blackboard Classic to Can...

05-04-2023

Canvas Message Notification

Colleagues, We had a person in a common 'course' site (department site) with 169 users post something to the group that was out of line. It went to everyone in the course site. We're trying to figu...

10-11-2022

Discussion Board Weirdness

Colleagues, We're still using Discussions Classic. An instructor has created a group forum (two student groups) so that students only see and reply to their student group. The 'show responses after...

08-19-2022

New Assignment Tool Anomaly

We noticed an odd, buggy behavior in the new Canvas Assignment tool. When student submit assignments using Kaltura or Panopto plugin from the Canvas toolbar (maybe other video sources), the video app...

08-19-2022

Calendar Bug?

A faculty asks: "I am having an issue with the Canvas calendar feature. I am putting in events and then trying to extend them across multiple days. Specifically, I am just labeling the weeks of the...

08-14-2022

New Flip Throwing an Error with SpeedGrader

Flip (formerly FlipGrid) is now throwing errors when attempting to view the videos in speedgrader. Canvas loads a window in a window and says "Could Not Find Valid Link) See attached. Flipgrid (old) ...

07-13-2022

Removing a Student from a Course

Colleagues, If I remove a student from a course (say for non-payment), then they pay and the SIS reloads them. Are all their assignments, discussions, etc. restored?

07-08-2022

New Assignment Tool Notification

A student relies on the notification (blue dot) for her assignments (upcoming and feedback, etc). She completed an assignment that allowed unlimited attempts. She completed it and was graded with fee...

07-07-2022

Special Question Type

Colleagues, A professor would like to set up a quiz using a case study format where the students answer a series of questions by referring to different prompts. Aside from printing out the case stu...

11-12-2021

Is Canvas Network still accepting courses?

Does anyone know if Canvas Network is still supported and will continue accepting courses? I'm reading mixed things on different Canvas sites.

10-31-2021

New Analytics - Attendance

Colleagues, We are a bit perplexed regarding New Analytics/Attendance. At the Account Level we have enabled the tool and unlocked it. However, as you can see from my screen capture, the tool is loc...

10-28-2021

Tableau Canvas Course?

Colleagues, I watched the recording of this Tableau session that was delivered during InstructureCon (https://www.instructure.com/canvas/resources/instructurecon-2021/tableau-bring-data-literacy-to-y...

10-15-2021

Enable Mastery Calculations?

Colleagues, I had Instructure enable the new Mastery Outcomes feature about a month ago, but faculty cannot edit the calculation method nor the mastery scale. What am I missing? Is there a setting ...

10-10-2021

Student Groups Oddity

Colleagues, Odd situation that has us stumped. The instructor set up eight groups (although only seven have students) Three students per group. Nothing odd that we can tell. She has a grade...

09-08-2021

Auto-captions? Where are you?

More of a recommendation than a question, but I would really like Canvas to add auto-captions to its RCE and SpeedGrader recorder. It is beyond time. Every product we use has it sans Canvas: Panopto,...

09-08-2021

New Analytics - Attendance

Colleagues, we enabled attendance in New Analytics, but I have a question regarding options/configuration. There are options for Admins to set quizzes, assignments, etc. as attendance indicators. I...

08-25-2021

Security Question

Colleagues, A couple of questions related to system security. 1) Does Instructure have any sort of log-tracking in case someone gains access to our system and does any damage? 2) If someone wer...

08-16-2021

Discussions Redesign - Where to add and show a rubric?

Colleagues, I turned on the Discussion Redesign, but cannot locate where to attach a rubric - not can students locate a rubric.

07-07-2021

Gradebook only shows one student

Colleagues, This should be an easy answer, but I've forgotten the steps. We have an instructor who allowed one student to take a final exam late. Now, the column for that exam only shows the one st...

07-06-2021

Hard coded link to rubrics

Colleagues, A faculty member is trying to hard code a URL link to a rubric. She would like to add it to an assignment (body text). Seems simple enough, but students receive an "access denied" messa...

02-01-2021