Bill Gibson's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Highcharts

Highcharts are embeddable, interactive, JavaScript charts for your web pages.   Someone recently pointed me to the UTK web site which was displaying several demographic graphs on a page. &nbs...

01-26-2017

Developing Course Pages Using Bootstrap

I had been looking at the Bootstrap training materials Bootstrap Grid Basic​ at w3schools.com but then went out and found several online sites that offer a "drag-n-drop" Bootstrap page/site builder.&...

10-20-2016

360° Photos via Roundme

You can use Roundme to make impressive interactive virtual tours, by combining linked 360° images, hotspots for more info with text, stills and video, and directed audio (an mp3 audio can be triggere...

09-23-2016

Online Infographic Makers

This started when I was looking at some of the "Best College websites" and making notes of what were the trending elements.  I looked at these sites: Welcome to Bucknell University || Bucknell U...

09-14-2016

Image Sliders/Scrollers/Rotators

Free online, Image Slider Maker​.  Packs all needed files up into a Zip file.  The HTML needs some doctoring, but could then be imported into a Canvas page via an iframe, by first Uploading...

08-06-2016

Is it possible to add an LTI SSO link in the left navigation area? Not the left course nav area.

I've seen how to put a link on the left navigation area (not course nav) using JavaScript, but is there a way to use LTI and have a similar link?  What is the left nav area called?

06-25-2016

Simple Video Creation Using Stupeflix

Stupeflix Presentation​ Make videos online with photos, clips, music - Stupeflix Stupeflix is a free, online tool for creating videos.  You can incorporate still images, videos, add audio, u...

06-07-2016

SIS Import: "No short_name given for course"

This is more of a "heads up" than a discussion, and it didn't fit as a question either. I was attempting to create a few courses via the GUI "SIS Import."  My courses.csv file had the structu...

05-19-2016

Articulate Storyline 2?

Any comments, ideas, perceptions regarding the use of Articulate Storyline?  Have you imported a Storyline presentation into a Canvas site?

05-16-2016

I would like more control of the Admin Menu.

I would like to be able to list courses by their "SIS ID".  This is something that our faculty cannot change.  They can change the course "Name" and that can lead to a useless, confused, ou...

05-05-2016

Import Course Content Fails: file name exceeds 255 max characters limit

I was attempting to import content from a Blackboard 9 archive (zip file) into a Canvas course yesterday and after importing some content the process gave a Failed error message, without any details....

04-01-2016

Viewing Old Stereograms with My Hasbro MY3D Viewer

I can't technically tie this to Canvas, but it has been so much fun that I wanted to share it with you.  I've been playing with Google Cardboard and Cardboard Camera over the last few months.&nb...

03-14-2016

I noticed something odd yesterday...

and I wasn't looking in the mirror;-) I was setting up a test environment, in a course, and created a dozen dummy students, enrolled them into the course, and then masqueraded as each (accepting t...

03-02-2016

LMS Admin: Permissions - Course Roles: Teacher - Add/remove students for the course

More specifically, I am focusing on "remove student from a course" and giving the Teacher the permission to do this. Why would you treat a student differently if they were enrolled manually or via...

02-08-2016

How to delete multiple course rubrics quickly?

There doesn't appear to be a quick way to delete multiple course rubrics.  I imported about 25 rubrics into a test course trying to see if I could get the more detailed descriptions to come over...

02-03-2016

A Better "Courses in the Account" interface.

It is a discriminatory practice to only show the first 50 courses on this page, and then make you "use the finder" for the rest.  PSYChology & ZOOLogy are tired of being slighted. How about...

01-14-2016

Courses Report Does Not Show Courses Without SIS IDs?

Is there a setting to include courses in the Report for Courses that do not have SIS IDs.  I am thinking that most or all of these courses were manually created and an SIS ID was not required, j...

11-10-2015

Banner | SIS Import Question...

We are looking for input from an institution that uses "Banner" as it's SIS.  When making users "active" or "deleted" in a course, how are you monitoring for this in Banner, so that the SIS Impo...

10-08-2015

Using the API for Content Migrations?

I'm not even sure what is possible using the API for Content Migrations.  Can you create new courses and import content into them in one process?  I have found a Python and Windows PowerShe...

07-01-2015

Admin Manual

How about an Admin Manual for this area where a newbie admin could pore over the concepts of administering an LMS, explaining how the Canvas LMS does this specifically.  It would include termino...

05-18-2015