pgo586's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Is there a way to restrict an LTI tool's visibility to be *only* students but neither instructors nor admins?

The Canvas API docs suggest that using the 'member' value visibility in an LTI's course navigation's XML configuration would make the tool visible to students. However, experience suggests that the t...

02-02-2024

Could Instructure report on CD2 status on a table by table basis?

I have an alert in place that warns me when our CD2 data retrieval process has been unable to retrieve any given table for at least a couple of days (BTW each day we retrieve snapshot data once, and ...

12-18-2023

SIS import failure: " An existing Canvas user with the SIS ID blah has already claimed BLAh's user_id requested login information

I'm trying to add the 'integration_id' fields to a batch of users (just working on Canvas TEST instance at the moment) but I'm getting the above error message when I come up with a csv file with 4 co...

11-28-2023

Need Instructure's guidance on field value equivalences between CD1 and CD2 (workflow_state and other relevant fields)

(edited for clarity) As I'm migrating my CD1 queries to CD2, I'm noticing that the possible values of the 'workflow_state' field have drastically changed from CD1 to CD2 in at least the records belon...

10-27-2023

CD2 and Canvas Live Events format entity ids differently: are there any plans to address the discrepancy?

While I was originally happy to see that the long ids in Canvas Data 1 (e.g. of the type 64750000000043215 ) had been removed in Canvas Data 2, it eventually came time for me to re-write all the quer...

10-25-2023

Canvas Data 2 retrievals mostly failing for us in the past hour - is any maintenance work being done by Instructure?

I've noticed that most of our table retrievals have been failing in the past hour (using CD2 REST api to retrieve tables. We've been getting 503 responses for most tables ('service unavailable'). Are...

09-11-2023

dap cli tool and Windows compatibility

I can't remember whether the answer to this question has already been given earlier, but I'm finally getting to try to experiment with the CLI (previously, I wrote nodejs scripts for retrieving snaps...

07-10-2023

How to tell the last time a user password was changed

I wonder if there's a way to tell based on the Canvas Data tables what is the last time a user changed their password. We are trying to improve security of the local admin accounts and are planning t...

06-28-2023

I'm getting what looks like a few corrupted snapshot files in each run

As I run my nodejs script for complete snapshot (jsonl) retrievals (I've written this API-based script a few months ago, which is able to retrieve all the DAP tables in either snapshot or incremental...

06-07-2023

Does Canvas Data include account (and sub-account) admins information?

I was hoping to find one or more tables in Canvas Data that contains account roles (that is, admin-like roles) and also enrollments of this type, but I'm having trouble locating this. Does it exist? ...

05-05-2023

DAP API and API key vs. client ID + secret: please clarify if any changes apply to the low level API

I don't have experience yet using the DAP CLI (or client library). I've only used so far the low level DAP API (REST), and I've recently been confused by some of the posts that suggest that API Keys ...

05-01-2023

Are incremental retrievals (via API) currently working?

I've been trying to exercise the incremental retrieval functionality of the API, but getting 400 errors for all my requests. I've double checked that I am passing on a value for "since" with proper f...

11-16-2022

Too many failed jobs (34) after last maintenance

Yesterday evening I was finally able to run a complete snapshot job for all tables (a first after maintenance update). However, I saw what looks like too many failed jobs (34) and one 404 (although I...

10-27-2022

Are authentication tokens correctly encoding their expiration time?

I understand that authentication tokens are returned by the API together with an 'expires_at' attribute indicating their expiration time. In addition, the documentation also suggests that this expira...

10-26-2022

Is the maintenance update over? I'm still unable to do any data retrievals

We heard last week that the maintenance update was 'almost' over, but it's not clear to me whether it ever ended or not. In fact, I still get 401 errors which are accompanied by the 'System is under ...

10-24-2022

Would like more information about hard-deletes

I apologize if this question was asked before, but I couldn't find anything relevant online. I understand that soft-deletes are treated as a data 'update' , and therefore checking some attribute in t...

10-18-2022

Unable to retrieve incremental updates for table (users)

Not sure whether this is supposed to be enabled for us yet or not, but I tried earlier today to retrieve an update for the users table using the provided bash script, and the process did not work bec...

06-29-2022

Has anybody managed to create a complete script for data retrieval and can share it?

Hi fellow alpha testers! I wonder if any of you has already written a (bash?) script that will grab a snapshot of ALL the tables that are available on the server and output those files either locally...

06-27-2022

Should I assume that the db schema current last September is now outdated?

I have a snapshot of data from last September and I wonder whether to start over with fresh snapshot data (assuming the schema has changed due to some re-architecting), or if it is safe to simply get...

06-23-2022

Unsure which hostname to hit to grab our CD2 data

(I posted this first as an answer to Edina's initial post - I apologize for the redundancy) Just getting started trying to retrieve our data, but I'm not sure which hostname to use in the URL. Could ...

06-22-2022