Christopher Phillips's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Standard for Extending Time on Quizzes

There are currently a couple of different ways to add extra time for an accommodation on quizzes, I'm hoping to share some of the conversations in the community on the topic, how time extensions are ...

01-25-2023

Canvas Support Emails - self-contained responses

I love working with Canvas support and appreciate how quick they are to respond, but have one piece of feedback that I am hoping to validate with others users before I put in a feature request, it ma...

06-01-2022

Ability to Search for a Specific Word

Hello - I am trying to figure out if there is a way to search for a specific word without searching for the word stem. For example, I'm trying to search for words with "disability" or "accessibility"...

10-06-2021

Accessibility Content from the Product Roadmap Blog

There used to be a way to share content from other spaces here - I can't figure out how to do that anymore, but wanted to share a few posts around accessibility that have come up in the Product Roadm...

09-10-2021

Comparable solutions to EesySoft

Our campus is looking into EesySoft as a tool that could help us track how users are using Canvas 3rd party tools within Canvas and provide contextual help documents and support directly within Canva...

03-18-2021

Understanding how Files are linked in new RCE

TLDR TLDR; The default behavior with the old RCE when linking to files was to download the file. In the new RCE the default behavior is to open the file in Canvas in a new tab where you can load it...

01-12-2021

[Syllabus] Ability to Link to Syllabus in Modules

Canvas provides a great feature to create a syllabus in a course. We generally encourage our instructors to create their content in the RCE (HTML) so that it is more accessible and usable than a PDF ...

07-29-2020

Use API to determine if a Quiz Bank Exists in a Course

There is currently no way to work with Canvas Quiz Banks through the API.  @stuart_ryan  has put together a good list document discussions around that here.  That said, I am tryi...

04-02-2020

Documentation, PDF Files and Accessibility

This question is mostly for the documentation team. Occasionally I have seen some documentation show up as PDF files, for example:  Canvas Account Role Permissions PDF  Canvas Course Rol...

02-24-2020

Thoma Bravo Instructure Acquisition

...oing that with fewer distractions that could harm their core work for customers if they were under private ownership rather than under the quarter-by-quarter performance pressures of the public stock m...

12-04-2019

[New Quizzes] Provide a method to determine which courses are using New Quizzes

For the current (old?) quizzes the API makes it easy to identify courses that contain quizzes. However, with New Quizzes there is currently no way to use the Canvas API to determine wh...

09-11-2019

Support for copying content associated with an LTI tool?

When an LTI tool associated with a course is copied to another course the LTI tool itself is copied to the new course, but my understanding from the past at least was that there was no way to communi...

08-27-2019

Accessibility Feature Requests

I have always appreciated that Canvas takes accessibility seriously, as evidenced in their Voluntary Product Accessibility Template, community efforts and frequent mentions of accessibility in t...

03-12-2019

Ability to Moderate a Quizzes.Next Quiz Before a Student Accesses a Quiz

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas Feature Request:  Provide the ability to moderate quizzes (specifically to add extended time) in Quizzes.NEXT without requiring the ...

02-26-2019

[Admin Tools] Information on File Usage (API)

Summary The File Object currently contains a number of attributes for each file in a Canvas Course such as "display_name", "size" and "content-type". This idea is to add attributes to the file...

08-06-2018

Accessible for Everyone? Blog Post

...elete Unused File Blog Post (Leave a comment there if you are interested) More information on the Curb Cut Effect: The Curb-Cut Effect The Curb Cut Effect: How Making Public Spaces Access to P...

07-26-2018

Tool to Identify and Delete Unused Files

Have you ever wanted the ability to know which files from the Canvas Files section are being used in course content or where they are being used? How about the ability to identify and delet...

07-12-2018

Syllabus content in Canvas Data?

In the Canvas Data FAQ it states:  What data is currently not in Canvas Data? Outcomes, Rubrics, Quiz Question Answer Submissions, Conferences, Calendar, and Scheduler However, I believe ...

01-03-2018

Google Tag Manager Recipes

Once you have Google Tag Manager setup and running on your Canvas account there are all kinds data that you can start gathering. Below are some code snippets or recipes you can use to get more data o...

10-25-2017

Accessibility Checker in the Rich Content Editor

There is some exciting news today in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-10-16), Canvas is introducing an accessibility checker in the Rich Text Editor that will be available for everyone. ...

10-17-2017