jonesn16's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Can we edit the Student or Instructor Product Tours?

My coworkers and I were talking about the Student Product Tour mentioned in the latest Ready Release Notes (2020-04-11). Do admins have the ability to modify the product tours? We'd like to inco...

04-21-2020

Academic Continuity Faculty Checklist

I wanted to share this document we developed at Northern Kentucky University to help faculty transition from face to face to online. There are many resources available for instructors—perhaps too man...

03-17-2020

Freedom through Focus

I was so excited by this month's blogging challenge - and now that the school year has ended, it feels like the right time for reflecting and cleaning up. Everyone has a few beliefs or assumptio...

05-28-2019

Lights, Camera, Learn

I get excited about mobile learning because it opens up possibilities inside the classroom and outside the classroom. I believe that mobile devices, when used strategically with clear bound...

05-03-2019

Preparing Your Canvas: Tying it all up

This is the eleventh (and final!) post in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest i...

04-18-2019

TA's and "Ask your instructor a question."

Because of my institution's particular needs, I am trying to find a way to add TA's to a course so that they can only interact with students in a particular section in Canvas. In particular, we want ...

09-11-2018

Preparing Your Canvas: Coda

This is the tenth entry in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest in chronolo...

07-23-2018

Preparing Your Canvas: The Feather of Truth

This is the ninth entry in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest in chronolo...

06-01-2018

Preparing Your Canvas: Signs and Wonders

This is the eighth entry in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest in chronol...

10-31-2017

Automatically grade a coding question

I'm working with a faculty member to find a way to grade coding questions. The problem is that a given coding question can have an arbitrarily large number of correct solutions. For example she could...

09-05-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: Buttons!

This is the seventh entry in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest in chrono...

08-28-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: All Together Now

This is the sixth entry in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest in chronolo...

08-04-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: Ekphrasis

...oncept people are familiar with, but delivering this WebEx workshop series grounded it in very practical terms. I came into the workshop series with several assumptions: I would have access to a public...

07-21-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: Stand Alone Complex

This is the fourth entry in my Preparing Your Canvas series, documenting NKU's transition from Blackboard to Canvas. If you want to start from the beginning, here's the rest in chronological ord...

07-03-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: Round Two... Fight!

I'm writing this after our second Summer Faculty Institute, which I described in Preparing Your Canvas: Starting a new LMS‌. All of the presenters (myself included) felt more confident and comfortabl...

06-26-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: In the Trenches

We just finished our first Summer Faculty Institute, which I described briefly in last week's Preparing Your Canvas: Starting a new LMS. I wanted to take a moment to reflect on what we learned f...

06-12-2017

Preparing Your Canvas: Starting a new LMS

...WebEx-based version of the workshops for faculty who work remotely. Public Course: The SFI, extended workshops, and web session are all pulling material from the same source, a course we built t...

06-02-2017

Thinking through Content

Recently I've been working with a few different faculty to move their first classes from traditional to strictly online. Its been a great learning experience for them and me both — they get to start ...

05-12-2017

Set upper limit to points earned?

Although the article I reference is from gamification, I'm not sure that was the right group for this question, as the faculty member isn't really trying to "gamify" her course so much as provide opt...

05-09-2017

Mobile Method Man

...rovide fresh feedback. Imagine a psychology class where students recorded brief interviews in public. Perhaps your assignment could be to live tweet a cultural event. Although solemn, dry academic w...

05-02-2017