eric_orton's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Make it possible for faculty to have threads/replies expanded by default in Discussions Redesign

I have an instructor who tried the redesigned discussions feature this past semester. She found it to be worse than the "classic" discussions feature for her use for two reasons: She wants students...

06-28-2022

Can replies in threads be shown by default in Discussions Redesign?

I have an instructor who tried the redesigned discussions feature this past semester. She found it to be worse than the "classic" discussions feature for her use for two reasons: She wants students...

06-28-2022

Extra credit points and weighted grading

Suppose a course uses weighted grading categories, and a particular category contains a certain number of points--say 50 points--and is worth a certain percentage of the final course grade--say 20%. ...

04-22-2021

Can mastery paths be copied or exported?

I have set up a competency-based course using mastery paths. I have need to export this course, or make it available through Commons, to give it to others who want to use it on their own Canvas insta...

03-07-2018

Can outcome achievement be based on average, not decaying average?

I have courses where we are using question banks, with each bank aligned to an outcome. Some outcomes actually have multiple banks, for example, one for multiple-choice questions and another for matc...

01-31-2018

Any solutions on multiple users working through Commons?

We have some Math courses that share content, so in order to make maintenance easier, our plan has been to put the shared content in a private consortium on Commons and then pull it into each course ...

01-16-2018

Relative links to media break when HTML files become too large

I have a course that, for a number of reasons, includes several HTML files that are inserted into native Canvas content pages using an <iframe>. These HTML files are in the course files, and in...

07-06-2017

Editing outcome used with test student

I've got an outcome in my course that I used with the student view (as accessed from the course settings) to experiment with how outcomes and rubrics work. Unfortunately, this was not done in a sandb...

06-20-2017

Mastery paths resolving too slowly, breaking Next button

I've noticed that, with mastery paths based on MC pretests, oftentimes the resolution of which mastery path to follow and the unlocking of the requisite items appears to take just a bit longer than l...

06-09-2017

Problems with student choice in Mastery Paths

I have a pretest set up that uses mastery paths. In one of the three paths, the student is given a choice between two assignments. However, I've run into three problems: Whenever I try to test th...

06-09-2017

How to allow students to move on while waiting on module requirements

I have a course with a structure like the following inside of a module (which represents a unit): Instruction pages A, B, and C Practice Quiz 1 Rough draft assignment Rough draft review assign...

06-05-2017

Creating a module template

I have a general course structure and setting that should be followed for many courses. I have tried creating a template course that has the proper course settings and the structure for one unit (mod...

05-15-2017

Default scoring rubrics for outcomes

I went looking for information about how Canvas calculates outcome mastery, and in this post learned the following: If a student's outcome score ends up to be a decimal, the score levels are calcula...

05-12-2017

What do you use as your mastery score when aligning outcomes with question banks?

When aligning an question bank to an outcome, one must set "mastery for any score at or above" a certain threshold. The default in Canvas is 60%, and that feels rather low to me. For most grading sca...

05-12-2017

Navigation and gradebook issues with mastery paths

I have a module in which there are several item that will be hidden depending on the students answer to a pretest. We'll call these items: Pretest (A passing score on this hides the three fruit pag...

03-28-2017