JamesKCOS's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

[Account Settings] Make the Canvas tutorial stop showing up

Problem statement: Every time I sign in to Canvas I get the tutorial pop-up. It's annoying. Proposed solution: Don't make the tutorial based on cookies and use a users account to determine if t...

04-13-2024

[People] Preferred Name Options

Problem statement: Many students prefer names other that what is listed on their official registration. Sometimes that is as simple as a preferred shortening of their name or a name that they have c...

10-30-2023

[Speedgrader] Make SpeedGrader Faster

Problem statement: SpeedGrader is very slow at loading assignments. Gradescope is able to load assignments in less than a second. SpeedGrader is consistently taking 4 seconds per assignment. Sometim...

09-26-2023

[Rubrics] Rubrics are Woefully Under-featured

Problem statement: Rubrics are good for fair grading across many students as they standardize the points awarded for each part of an assignment. Canvas rubrics are frustrating and difficult to use a...

08-26-2023

Assignment date separate from due date or availability date

I teach a chemistry class, and some of my students are confused by due dates for lab assignments because I have them turn in the write up a week after the lab. On their Canvas calendar, however, this...

05-22-2023

[Files] Add contrast filters for Files

Problem statement: Some student submissions on Canvas have low contrast and are hard to read. Proposed solution: Include filters or contrast settings in SpeedGrader for increasing the contrast ...

02-14-2023

Can someone change my community name?

Apparently this is the only way to change your community name. Someone. Please. Help.

02-14-2023

[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Show the number of assignments graded/total

The subject line really sums it up. It just helps to see progress when I’m grading on my iPad rather than having to exit Speed Grader to see how many assignments I have left.

11-07-2021

[Announcements] Make every part of an announcement clickable.

It’s been confusing for my students (and for me at times) that you have to click the title of an announcement and not any part of the preview. I have had students who were using the “reply” option as...

11-01-2021

Inbox for submission comments

I only ever see submission comments as a notification on my phone. For some reason it always opens two instances of the assignment in speed grader. Sometimes the Canvas teacher app bugs out and doesn...

10-22-2021

Speedgrader no longer differentiates between apple pencil and finger input

Not sure when this happened, but the iPad Canvas Teacher app no longer differentiates between finger and apple pencil inputs. Both draw lines on the screen and I can't find an option to change anythi...

10-04-2021