bbennett2's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Add standard to multiple units in a Map?

We're working on setting up our initial Maps in Mastery Connect. Some standards are assessed in multiple units. Is there a way to add a single standard to two distinct units for a course? Or is the b...

07-19-2023

Copying assignments from shared shells

I have some teachers trying to import quizzes from one course to another. After the initial import, they removed a subset of questions, changed the title/due date, etc, and then gave the quiz. Later,...

12-08-2022

Differing user roles across subaccounts

Main question: Do subaccount role permissions follow the course subaccount? Our Teacher role disallows staff from direct-adding anyone to courses other than Observers. This is because we want our S...

09-28-2022

Syncing assignments to Powerschool worth 0 points

For several years, we've had teachers create assignments worth 0 points that are used for course-level extra credit (rather than assignment extra credit). Recently, Canvas stopped syncing these assig...

09-14-2022

Clarification on using Blueprint courses

I'm working with a school which has significant staffing shortages. To help alleviate some of the pressure to fill all sections of classes, there is now a common "Independent Study" across the entire...

08-11-2022

New Powerschool Grade Passback

We migrated to the OneRoster tool for enrollments and grade pass back but have run into an issue where we can't link up our Powerschool grade categories with Canvas. In a Canvas course, I've created ...

08-08-2022

Interesting projects you're working on?

I'm wondering what kinds of projects others are doing with the Canvas API. I know we're all using scripts and plugins to do reporting, enrolling, and other wrangling, but is anyone working on somethi...

05-10-2022

Outcomes on copied rubrics don't connect to LMG

We ran into an interesting situation today. An ELA teacher created some standard rubrics to use with students. It had two writing outcomes attached that push results to the Learning Mastery Gradebo...

12-02-2021

New Quizzes missing some institutional outcomes

I've run into a strange issue with New Quizzes. We have content Outcomes available at the root level. Teachers are able to import those as needed into their courses. I'm working with a staff member n...

11-23-2021

Limit Admin access to specific subaccount

We're in a situation I hope someone else has solved. We have our principals and guidance counselors set up as subaccount admins (7 buildings) so they can do student lookups, etc. We also run all-st...

11-18-2021

Canvas and iOS Accessibility tools

I came across a similar post on accessibility that didn't have any help. We're using the same tools (Snap & Read, CoWriter), but I'm interested in accessibility within the iOS settings. For examp...

09-24-2021

How is the n-times Outcome scoring actually calculated?

I'm working on a tool for staff to explore how different Outcome scoring mechanisms for the Learning Mastery Gradebook actually work. I'm curious if anyone has a specific example of how the n&nb...

09-03-2021

"Copy to" shows all courses instead of current term

The "Copy to" option on assignments used to show courses in the current term only. Sometime recently, that switched to showing all courses, including past terms. That means instructors now need to se...

01-21-2021

Why release comments manually on assignments?

In January 2020, Canvas updated manual grade posting to work without an actual grade...any comments on a submission can be manually posted back to the student. I'm wondering why instructors are ...

01-14-2021

Associate Blueprint course using Canvas course ID

We're experimenting with Blueprint courses and I'm trying to find the best way to manage template courses. The documentation lists the SIS_ID as the required ID to make an association. But, we don'...

12-10-2020

New Gradebook sort by due date problem

The old problem of the gradebook not sorting correctly has returned. We're seeing that when you sort by due date, it seems Canvas is looking at the string value rather than the date itself. For inst...

10-01-2020

Trouble embedding resources with new Google LTI

We've seen a new-ish issue with Google's new Assignments (LTI 1.3) update. When teachers try to embed materials from Drive, particularly videos, they don't always show up for students. At the risk of...

09-23-2020

Submit assignment from one course to another via API?

We're in kind of a sticky situation. Several courses were cross listed after the term start, some of which had assignments with submissions already. Cross listing removed those submissions from stud...

08-19-2020

Get a List of Students and Missing Work

In a Canvas course, you can quickly check the number of missing assignments for single students relatively quickly. You can also message groups of students missing specific assignments from the analy...

05-18-2020

Duplicate Course Enrollments with Python

...sing Canvas makes sense as a lot is done through application and reflection.   The public course index in Canvas could be used, but without a great way to expose the course to instructional staff o...

05-14-2020