James Whalley's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

[Blueprint Courses] Fix Content Locking

Problem statement: When using Blueprints, users will often want to lock content to ensure it stays the same across synced courses. This is why there is the option to lock content in a Blueprint. The...

a week ago

[Rubrics] Add Indicators as to Where a Rubric is in Use

Problem statement: There is no way to tell if a specific rubric is in use in a course other than manually visiting every gradable assignment/discussion/quiz and checking if the specific rubric is at...

01-24-2024

[Learning Mastery Gradebook] Show Progress Towards N Number of Times Mastery

Problem statement: When using the "n Number of Times" calculation method for outcomes, the Learning Mastery Gradebook does not display progress towards "n". Proposed solution: There should be a...

01-23-2024

[Course Navigation] Allow Teachers to Hide Course Navigation Links from Themselves

Problem statement: Currently, Teachers can hide Course Navigation links from students to de-clutter, but they cannot remove links for themselves. This means that instructors see all of the tools the...

09-05-2023

[Course Import/Export] Retain Authorship on Announcement/Discussion Import

Problem statement: When course content is copied between courses, announcements and discussions lose their authorship. In the new course the author is listed as Unknown, even if the original author ...

08-09-2023

Can Instructors apply templates to their courses?

Is it possible to make templates available for instructors to self apply to their courses via Course Copy or something like that? We currently share templates via Commons, but this is a pain because ...

07-10-2023

Submit on Behalf of Students, Turnitin, and End-User License Agreements

We were just about to turn on the feature option allowing faculty to submit assignments on behalf of students when we really started to think about the implications when Turnitin is enabled for an as...

05-24-2023

Update Your Documentation to be Accurate or Remove the "This Course" Item Banks Filter

Problem statement: The "This Course" filter for Item Banks does not work and has never worked. When I reported this to Instructure and asked for the filter to be removed or for the documentation to ...

09-29-2022

[Admin Tools] Override Course Language Settings for Admins

It should be possible for an admin to view any course in the account level language instead of the course level language. I had to try and troubleshoot an issue in a French class today and it was no ...

05-03-2022

[New Quizzes] Allow Filtering of Item Banks by Tags

When looking at a list of Item Banks, it would be useful to be able to filter the list to only show banks that included questions using certain tags. Currently, you can only filter questions within a...

05-02-2022

[Course Navigation] Add Visibility Icon to Course Navigation Menu Links that are Instructor-View Only

When enabled, Rubrics, Item Banks, Attendance, and New Analytics are visible to faculty, but not to students. Since the visibility icon is supposed to indicated what elements are not visible to stude...

04-11-2022

Do not Allow Enabling of Rubrics in Course Navigation

I've noticed that Rubrics being enabled does not make the Rubrics page visible to students. Also, instructors do not gain functionality when it is enabled versus disabled. Allowing it to be enab...

04-07-2022

[People] Allow +People for Admins after a Course Ends

Our admins routinely add users to past courses. Generally, these are instructors of the next semester of a course or course admins who need to get information for a faculty member. Sometimes it is a ...

03-29-2022

Inactive Students in Gradebook Import

You may want to add to the Gradebook Import documentation that including inactive students in the import file (even if they were included in the export file) will cause the inactive student to have a...

10-29-2021

[Courses] Reusable Grading Schemes - Course-Level Creation

Currently, admins can create grading schemes at an account level and them have them accessible in all courses. If you create a grading scheme within one of your courses though, it is only available i...

09-24-2021

[Courses] Update Section Date Management to be Similar to Course Date Management

Now that there has been an update to how we manage Course Dates and use them to override Term Dates, can we also get a similar update in Section Dates? Section Dates still has the "Students can only ...

05-10-2021

[New Quizzes] Open in Multiple Tabs/Windows Warning

Support keeps telling me that errors with the recording of student submissions in Quizzes are caused by students opening a quiz in multiple tabs/windows at the same time. If this is the case, then I ...

05-06-2021

Quiz Open in Multiple Tabs/Windows Warning

Support keeps telling me that errors with the recording of student submissions are caused by students opening a quiz in multiple tabs/windows at the same time. If this is the case, then I would like ...

05-06-2021

Visibility by Course User Role

We have a resource library of Canvas tutorials set up within a subaccount in our Canvas instance. Non-enrolled users and students only see Canvas Pages and no other type of content. With any page oth...

03-04-2021

Adaptive Release Based on Assignment Group Achievement

Hello all, I have an instructor looking to create a set of assignments from which students will choose which ones to do to try to earn a set score in the overall assignment group. Rather than just ...

02-11-2021