jlubkinchavez's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Deleting and restoring enrollments via API

I think I've figured out a few things (through testing) about deleting and restoring enrollments, but it'd be great if anyone could confirm this has proven true for them: If a student needs to ch...

03-21-2022

[Course Navigation] With Redirect Tool, automatically open tabs in new link without second click

When using the Redirect Tool to add links to the course navigation, links set to open in a new tab require a second click. Instead, it should open in a new tab with no extra click required. There is ...

02-23-2022

Where to put an SIS enrollment id?

I'm working on integrating Canvas with another system via the API. I'd like to bring back an enrollment record ID from the other system and put it on the Canvas enrollment....but there doesn't s...

10-14-2021

What's sis_import_id for?

I'm working on integrating Canvas with another system, and I'd like to bring back an enrollment record ID from the other system and put it on the Canvas enrollment. Is sis_import_id an appropriate pl...

10-13-2021

Differentiate prior and current enrollments in Gradebook panel

For courses with multiple sections, students may have been concluded from one section but still be actively enrolled in another section. In most places (on the student details page, in People, in Gra...

06-07-2021

[Accessibility] Option to skip deleted content in Link Validator

The Link Validator will check links to deleted content, but it's not usually worth the teacher's time to review errors on these links (especially since the content is deleted and cannot be edited). T...

03-01-2021

[Dashboard] Change default empty dashboard message to mention All Courses

When a student has no active courses, the dashboard has a message that reads: "Welcome to Canvas! You don’t have any courses, so this page won’t be very exciting for now. Once you’ve created or signe...

02-08-2021

Ability to add custom statuses in Gradebook

Current status options in Gradebook include late, missing, or excused. This feature idea would allow teachers to create custom statuses (e.g., extra credit, optional/required, core/elective, etc.). I...

02-01-2021

[Syllabus] Filter syllabus by section for teacher

For teachers who have multiple sections or can see other sections, the course summary in syllabus can start to be unwieldy since you see all assignments for all sections. It would be nice to have a f...

02-01-2021

New Quizzes survey workaround and complete/incomplete

I'm working in an environment where we use a lot of ungraded surveys and courses are large (200-500 enrollment). We've been transitioning to New Quizzes, and it's been bumpy. I've searched a lot...

06-15-2020

Enabling New Analytics for Students

I'm curious--what is your thinking around enabling New Analytics view for students? If you did it, why, and how's it going? If not yet, why not and when do you think you might (if ever)? 

11-02-2019

How do I set read-only access for a limited time?

My institution runs a variety of programs that all use Canvas as an LMS but run on different timelines (not a semester schedule). The program leads decided they want students to retain read-only acce...

06-03-2019

UX / UI of Canvas...in decline?

Is it just me or is the UX/UI of Canvas--what used to set it apart and above other LMSs--getting worse and worse? Every new feature (e.g., Quizzes.Next, Student Dashboard, New Gradebook) seems to hav...

05-06-2019

Stats on desktop vs mobile browser vs app?

Is there a way to get stats on how users log in--percentage from desktop vs mobile browser vs mobile app? That info seems to be tracked at the individual level, but I don't see a place to view aggreg...

02-05-2019

Canvas Admin Setup for Non-Higher Ed

Like perhaps many of you who don't work in higher ed--and particularly those of you in a non-profit or corporate environment--I'm trying to figure out best practices for setting up courses. I'm ...

12-18-2018

Cross-listing vs sections vs groups--What are the functional differences?

I'm trying to better understand the difference between adding a section to a course in course settings, cross-listing a course, and creating groups in a course. My understanding is that one big diffe...

12-10-2018