lshulman's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Unsatisfied with Turnitin

I have not used Turnitin often. This semester I am using it and find it not helpful at all. Most of what it finds as a match is from other papers submitted from other students at other schools. Due...

04-13-2022

issues with read speaker tool

The new "read speaker" tool is not as helpful as it might be. For one thing, I find the icon to activate it blocks (covered up) some text in student submissions. But, more significantly, it reads...

11-28-2021

mark as read dot in Redesign

My issue with the "mark as read" dots in the Redesign is that I might mark a parent post as "read" but once a new reply is added, the dot by the parent post turns green again. This can be confusing a...

11-17-2021

New Quizzes completed display X

[Not sure if this question is already under discussion elsewhere. Please redirect me if it is.] So I am using a new quiz format for a "survey" graded as "complete/incomplete". I am finding that, on...

10-16-2021

I now HATE Canvas!

This new discussion redesign was thrown at us literally overnight with no advance notice. I HATE it! At least we are able to "disable" the feature and continue using the old discussion format. ...

10-10-2021

Prerequisites bypassed by student

I include requirements and prerequisites because I do NOT want students moving on to the later modules without having completed an earlier assignment (in this case, midterm exam). However, apparently...

07-25-2021

Quizzes Next waiting to be graded

Seems that when a student submits a Quizzes Next quiz that needs to be manually graded, it does NOT show up on my "to do" list and displays as X (incomplete) instead of checked. I have this particula...

06-16-2021

Quizzes Next link

I created a Quzzes Next quiz and can see it in my module and in the "Quizzes" area of the course navigation, but when I tried to create a "course link" to it in an announcement (or a page), I could n...

06-06-2021

Allow option for ungraded survey and practice quiz to "display in grade book"

I'd like to see an option to "display in grade book" for UNgraded surveys and practice quizzes. That way we can provide student feedback. For instance, I like to have students complete a "self asse...

04-12-2021

Change to "needs grading" once a missing assignment is submitted

If grade policy is set to assign a grade of zero (or whatever) to a missing submission (once due date/time is past), and student then submits the assignment late, the zero grade needs to change to "w...

09-11-2020

Assignment Submission as Text Only (problem)

I discovered a problem that Canvas needs to correct. Assignments can be submitted in several ways. We are able to check off those we want to limit options. If I check off "text entry only" for subm...

06-24-2020

Misleading orange dot in Speedgrader

Problem: Orange dot remains in Speedgrader even when student has not submitted an assignment. Situation: In Gradebook view I accidentally entered a grade for the wrong student. When I realized this ...

06-19-2020

Score does not populate immediately

When I grade the essay answers and then hit "update", I do not see the score automatically transfer into the gradebook (using Speed grader) (as it does with the old quizzes). I have to hit "update" a...

06-12-2020

[Studio] Enable Studio Comments to be Universal

By "universal" I mean to not limit instructor comments to one specific course.   If I create/use a Studio video I want to use in more than one course and I add comments for students to reply...

05-27-2020

[Gradebook Settings] Allow discussion to not count towards final grade

Assignments allow for us to check "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" while still entering a grade/points. This allows for "progress report" grade.  I would love to see...

03-07-2020

[Discussions] Show discussion edits as "new"

Have Canvas indicate to us when an old discussion post has been edited (mark it as "new" again) (the way Blackboard does).   Currently Canvas does not alert users when a discu...

03-04-2020

[Discussions] Email notification for edits to discussion replies

Emailed notifications include "new comments" to discussions but it would also be helpful if discussion notifications indicated "edited" posts, not just new ones. If I have already read the post, I ne...

03-04-2020

[Discussions] Separate "Edit" and "Delete" discussion permissions

Separate discussion permission for edit and delete posts   Current option allows users to: "Edit and delete their own posts"   I might want to allow students to "delete" their posts...

02-29-2020

Mark Edited discussion post as UNread

If a student/user edits a discussion post after others have seen and marked it as "read", Canvas does not seem to indicate that there is something new/edited in the post. This is especially problemat...

09-23-2019

Submission comment notification

not sure if this question or discussion already exists but... When students make a comment on an assignment submission - especially AFTER the assignment has been seen and graded by the instructor - ...

07-19-2019