Kelvin Dean's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

New Quizzes: Display answer choices on two columns for multiple choice questions

Back to when Ordering Questions were introduced in New Quizzes in 2018, there was the option to show answers in a paragraph. That means that answer choices will be displayed inline. But this time, ...

08-07-2020

New Quizzes: Due Date comment

When creating quizzes for a class, I had been putting comments about why assignments are due on a specific date. There can be times when students need to take and finish quizzes prior to school field...

07-09-2020

[New Quizzes] Show Days in time limit

In Classic Quizzes, when taking an exam, the time remaining is in this format: XX Years, XX Months, XX Days, XX Hours, XX Minutes, XX Seconds. However, in New Quizzes, it only shows hours, minut...

07-08-2020

Add tags to Announcements, Assignments, Conferences, Discussions, Inbox, Pages

Ever since I get used to the features in Announcements, Assignments, Conferences, Discussions, Inbox, and Pages in Canvas, I always thought of putting tags. During that time, we had to use brackets b...

07-06-2020

First Look: Apple Silicon & Canvas Mobile

With the introduction of Apple Silicon at last week's Apple WWDC 2020, the Mac is ready for the most significant transition of all time! Will we see Canvas Mobile Apps on macOS for the first time? Th...

07-04-2020

[New Quizzes] Show what score will be kept before students take their first attempt on a quiz

In the history of quizzes, when a teacher creates a quiz with multiple attempts, they usually set which score to keep (highest, latest, average). However, students will not be aware of this until the...

07-02-2020

Missing languages in Canvas Studio

From the release notes, Canvas Studio supports the following languages: Arabic Armenian Czech Danish Dutch English (Australia) English (United Kingdom) English (United States) Estonian F...

04-16-2020

You're Not Alone: Working Around Closed Grading Periods

If your course is in a term that has closed grading periods, hope is not lost. We'll show you how to cope with this. Creating Assignments (& New Quizzes) Outside of Grading Periods This is so...

04-13-2020

Who can create new courses if there are mixed roles

In the following screenshot below (taken from the article How do I set details for an account? > View Who Can Create New Courses), if one user is enrolled as a teacher in one course and a stu...

04-13-2020

Gauge Users Group disappeared

Ever since New Quizzes came out, I really love the Gauge AMS so much, since they share the same interface. However, suddenly, as of this week, it disappeared unexpectedly. Without this Gauge documen...

04-04-2020

Reset Course Navigation Layout

Wouldn't it be nice if there is a way to reset the course navigation links back to their default layout? This can come in handy while keeping course content intact if a teacher arranges the link...

03-30-2020

Assessment-Wide Tags in New Quizzes, Not Just for Individual Questions

...P address 19.XX.XX.XX, it appears that the location appears to be in Kansas City, KS. Applying this filter will only allow students from Kansas City Public Schools to take the quiz.

03-26-2020

Canvas Mobile Update - Spring 2020 Preview

With so many institutions moving to online instruction during the pandemic, Canvas Mobile is due for a big update!     New Features QR for Mobile Login (Available starting&nbsp...

03-24-2020

Common Misconceptions in New Quizzes

There are some common misconceptions in New Quizzes that can be quite frustrating. Here are a few. Hot Spot Questions: Click, Not Draw A misconception about Hot Spot questions is that these...

02-14-2020

Hidden Gems: Working with Surveys in New Quizzes

Surveys are possible in New Quizzes, although you may need some tweaking. There is an article here (FAQ: New Quizzes) mentioning that surveys do not exist in New Quizzes. However, this is not lo...

02-07-2020

Hidden Gems: Exporting & Importing Content in New Quizzes

When I studied the comparison table between Old vs New Quizzes, I thought to myself: If quizzes can be exported, why not individual assignments? They should. Here is a viable solution to export/impor...

02-04-2020

Hidden Gems: Who's Got the Fastest Finger?

In New Quizzes, one of the things that you may have not noticed is setting the seconds in the time limit. Here's how you can work it out. From the Settings tab, turn on the time limit feature. In ...

01-06-2020

Hidden Gems: Access Codes & Force Completion

One of the things that I have learned from taking final exams online is the use of the force completion method.  What is Force Completion? At our institution, which uses Blackboard, our busi...

01-06-2020

First Look: Responsive Layout

You may have noticed today there is a new look in Free-For-Teachers. The new responsive layout is here! This layout ensures that the Canvas website looks great on ALL devices, even on smartphones and...

01-06-2020

Hidden Gems: K-12 Free For Teacher

One of the things I am wondering: Is there a K-12 edition of Free For Teachers? There is! Go online to https://k12.canvaslms.com and try it out!   Course Feature Options Comparison En...

12-17-2019