BenjaminSelby's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

How to Bulk Load and Update Profile Avatar Pictures with Powershell - V2

I created a blog post in 2020 explaining how to bulk load and sync Canvas Avatar images using Powershell. https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Developers-Group/How-to-bulk-load-and-update-avat...

02-19-2024

How to setup Parent Observers with Guest accounts for SSO in Microsoft Tenant Azure AD

Our school currently has Parent Observers setup with logins and passwords which we assign to them. They then login manually using the page at 'https://<SCHOOL_NAME>.instructure.com/login/canvas...

09-06-2023

Is it possible to set the Marking Periods filter for Markbook in a course using the API?

Hi everyone.  Is it possible to use an API call to set the Markbook filter for a course to 'All Marking Periods'?  The reason I ask is that teachers and students are all confused a...

07-26-2023

CommMessages API call with Admin token - "user not authorised to perform that action"

I'm trying to query the '/v1/comm_messages' API end point using an admin-authorised token in Powershell, and I get the message "user not authorised to perform that action". Does anybody know why ther...

02-26-2023

Can I trace who revoked 'Account Admin' role from a user?

One of the admins at our school had his 'Account Admin' role revoke recently, and I want to try to track down who revoked it, or how this might have happened. Is there any kind of event log available...

02-08-2021

How to bulk load and update avatar profile pictures with Powershell.

[UPDATE 2024.02.20 - I've refined the code around this process, and posted it in a new blog article here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Developers-Group/How-to-Bulk-Load-and-Update-P...

09-24-2020

How to Upload an Assignment via API using Powershell

You will require the following variables set up accordingly. Values such as $USERID, $COURSEID and $ASSIGNMENTID can be obtained from the API or looking at link URLs in the Canvas web interface. &nb...

06-18-2020

How to upload a file via API using Powershell?

I'm trying to upload a file via the API using Powershell. I am an administrator with 'impersonate' authorisation. I have tried following the API documentation for this process but am having trouble p...

05-27-2020

Clever Solutions in our New Remote Learning Environment.

Hi everyone. Don't know if someone else has a topic going for this, but I thought it might be a good idea for us all to share ideas about how we are handling the various issues which may arise given ...

03-31-2020

Can I get data on chat activity in courses?

Is there a way in which I can get data regarding chat activity in courses?  I have been looking in the Canvas Data tables, but can't find anything particularly useful. Also, the API doesn't s...

03-30-2020

Deleted USER_DIM accounts and WORKFLOW_STATE

Hi. We've just started using Canvas Data. I have a question about the USER_DIM table.  When I create a test user via the Canvas web app, and then later delete that user via the Canvas web app...

02-26-2020