0 Likes
(1)

It should NOT be the case that the Canvas system trumps an instructor’s time allotment on a quiz or test.  When I state an ‘until’ date/time, the system should stop students from beginning the quiz/test after that point, but it should NOT shut it down on a student who is still working and is still within the allotted time. 

The current system has the potential to be very confusing for a student.  They have to calculate backwards in order to be certain that they give themselves an adequate amount of time.  While this should, in theory, be well within their capabilities, it’s just one more step they have to deal with as they prepare to take a test. 

It seems to me that it would a fairly easy programming change on your part, to alter that one aspect of the testing system.

When I worked with Blackboard, the ‘until’ time was a ‘latest start’ time.  In addition, the system NEVER shut down on a student who was in the middle of taking a test, EVEN if they worked beyond the allotted time.  It would simply report the issue and leave it up to the instructor to decide what to do.  THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT SHOULD BE.  A system such as Canvas should NEVER be able to make a decision not granted to it by the instructor.

I sincerely hope this will addressed in the near future!

This widget could not be displayed.
Who rated this idea