0 Likes
(1)

Full disclosure I am very displeased.

The new requirement that when we add new users the students have to verify their email BEFORE we can add them into a course if VERY frustrating.

Our institution has processes and procedures whereby as soon as students register for courses they are added into the LMS AND put into our student orientation course and an Academic Research Resource course so that they can view it ASAP. We often have quick turnovers between registration and courses starting. 

The fact that this is now not possible until they click on the link to verify their email-means that I have to add another task to my list to go back in each day and blindly try to add them into orientation courses until I am successful- instead of at the proper time for our processes that we have previously developed.

I understand this is supposed to cut down on accidentally putting in the wrong email addresses.. but in my opinion that onus is on me. If I make typo or put in the wrong email address, I can correct my own mistakes. This extra step is handcuffing not helpful.

IF, Canvas wants to make this mandatory they SHOULD have also set it up to alert admin when new users verify their email at minimum. So that I know WHEN I can go in and add students to our orientation etc. instead I have to keep making attempts to add a student into a course without having any way of knowing when I will actually be successful in doing so. 

This widget could not be displayed.
Who rated this idea