AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trying to figure out how memory is allocated

Question asked by J D Wilson on Apr 24, 2016
Latest reply on May 26, 2016 by rogrant@nmsu.edu

This question may have been asked, but if it has I do not know how to search for it, because I could not find anything. My school is going to a 1 to 1 chromebook program for students next year. I am trying to put my class assignments into Canvas as an online course students can access and use in school, thus eliminating the need to photocopy lots of materials and for students to use lots of paper on assignments and thus get as paperless as possible. But I am running into a problem with memory. I am at 52% of my memory allocation in my 9th grade class and I have only the the 4th term (with a few weeks to go) put into Canvas. Obviously I will run out of memory soon and will not be able to get terms 1-3 into Canvas as things stand. However, in my 11th and AP courses I am only at 20 and 22 percent respectively. I do not know how memory is allocated and why I am so close to the maximum in one course, and not in a bad position in the other two. Only the ninth graders have begun working the course so perhaps that accounts for some of the difference, but there are only two units of eight with work done in them and that shouldn't, it seems to me account for such a difference. Is there any way of finding out what is eating up my memory in ninth and is there anything I can do about it?  I like the site, but it seems like it is too good to be true and I am worried that I may have missed something and will not be able to run my course on this site. But I want to find out before I invest any more time in this. I would also like to know if, as a single teacher, there is a way of purchasing a bit more memory.

Cordially,

J. D. Wilson, Jr.

Outcomes