Tabs on Course Tiles (New UI) - no Indicators

Jump to solution
crafte
Community Coach
Community Coach

On the new dashboard course tiles display tabs representing the main course features (assignments, discussions, quizzes, and announcements). When new content (student post, assignment submission, new announcement etc.) has been added, a blue indicator is supposed to alert the instructor. We have been receiving reports from instructors that this feature is not working. Switching to the recent activity dashboard will list the notification for the new content. Is there a setting that might prevent the course tiles from displaying the activity indicators?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
crafte
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kona 

Below is the response from Instructure:

I apologize if this wasn't very clear and I can understand the confusion. When I said brand new discussion item, I meant discussion items created by clicking on "+Discussion" button. Any new post/reply to the “Some new topic” discussion item will not trigger the "blue dot" to appear on the Teacher's Dashboard. (The “Some new topic” discussion item has a read state because the Teacher had already viewed the discussion - right after creating it). Currently, Canvas only notifies users via User Dashboard (blue dot) if they'd never seen a discussion before; it will not show a Dashboard notification if a user replies or creates a post under the read discussion item.

We have informed our Engineering team about how the current design can confuse users and I have attached this case to a tracker regarding a "feature request" to possibly change this behavior and include new reply and post to trigger the “blue dot". You will receive an update if this feature has been updated.

It's also good to note: "To receive notifications for Discussions, users must actively post in the discussions at least once every two weeks. If a user stops participating in a discussion after two weeks, Canvas will no longer display discussion notifications." (see guide).

Again, users should still be able to see recent discussion activity by switching their Dashboard view from course list to Recent Activity view (without the "blue dot" but the recent activity still shows). Another option is to view their To Do List to see the recent student replies to a graded discussion. Teachers can also enable their Discussions and All Submission notification preference to receive updates on new discussion replies/post.

View solution in original post