Michael Touhey

Canvas Limitations?

Discussion created by Michael Touhey on May 19, 2016
Latest reply on May 20, 2016 by cesbrandt

I am relatively new to the Canvas LMS, but I have a lot of experience with other platforms. The thing that has been surprising to me in using Canvas is the lack of features/support for formating/styling a course  (using templates, CSS, JS, etc). Am I missing something or is the Canvas community content with these limitations? I have read about work-arounds on this forum such as using  iframes or adding CSS style definitions to the institution's global CSS, but these seem to be half measures that do not scale well. Is there a guide or a solution that addresses these issues? I would like to be able to develop templates for programs/courses being developed at my institution, but find myself working at the individual course level doing a lot of inline styling. Is there a way to use multiple style style sheets to manage the look and feel of multiple academic programs?

Regarding styling course content at the individual course level, the rich content editor GUI also seems very limited in its functionality, but I have seen third party add-on tools such as Kennethware  that add styling options at the course level. Does Canvas intend to develop a similar set of tools? Why do Canvas users need to utilize third party tools to acquire needed development functionality?

Outcomes