Rob Gibson

Video in Canvas

Discussion created by Rob Gibson on Jul 13, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 by anthonem@seattleu.edu

Not surprising:  Kaltura 2016 Video in Education Survey reveals tipping point | University Business Magazine

But, I just don't think video integration in Canvas is where it needs to be. I was just assisting a student uploading a video using Kaltura + Canvas. Here's the workflow....

1. Faculty member needs to remember to enable Kaltura on the sidebar AND select Text Entry for the assignment. (Completely un-intuitive. Enable the Text Entry for a video upload? Why? That's because Canvas doesn't expose the toolbar for the file upload option which is where people would expect to upload a video, and you need the toolbar to locate the Kaltura LTI.)

2. Then the student needs upload the video to My Media (Kaltura) > return to the assignment > remember to select "Text Entry" > know to look for the "V" hidden menu > then select Kaltura.

Holy smokes, can we make this process more difficult please. Not looking for an answer....just venting. It's no wonder students just use YouTube. It's 100 times easier.

Outcomes