AnsweredAssumed Answered

A question about quizzes and the grade book

Question asked by Michelle Everson on Jul 29, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 by Michelle Everson

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to Canvas, and I'm struggling with how to set something up in my course site.

Our college is mandating that we do a pre- and post-course assessment with our students.  I teach statistics, and I have a short 10-item multiple-choice pre-test I ask my students to complete (during the first week of classes) and then they complete the same assessment again right before the final exam.

I need a way of motivating my students to complete these assessments.  In the past, the assessments were given online, and I essentially gave students full credit toward two lab activities if they completed the assessments.  I also gave students extra points on the post assessment for each question they got correct.  It was very easy for us to set this up and do it within our older LMS, but I'm finding it hard to figure out how I can easily do this within Canvas.

I am fine with NOT giving out any extra credit for completing the post-test, especially if we'd need to set up something that would require manually entering grades into the grade book, especially since we have 1000+ students who take this course each semester.

I'm essentially looking for a way to give my students a certain amount of points simply for completing these tests (e.g., if they complete a test, that can count as 10 points toward a lab assignment grade), while still being able to download some kind of report that will show me how many questions the students actually got correct on each item on the pre- and post-test.  Is this even possible?  If I set up a graded quiz, the actual number correct on the quiz will end up being the grade in the grade book, and we don't want to penalize students if they do not do well on these quizzes.  The quizzes are meant for us to gather information on whether we are meeting the course learning objectives.

I hope this makes sense.  In the end, perhaps I just need to set up practice quizzes and do my best to encourage students to take them, without giving any extrinsic motivators.  Still, however, I'm not sure if I can eventually download all the data I need from the practice quizzes since that information will not enter into the grade book.  Will it be possible for me to download summary statistics related to practice quizzes so I can report to the college on the problems students struggled with?

It looks like I can also set up a graded survey, but then again, it does not appear to me that this will give information to us about the percentage of students who correctly answered each item (even though it would allow us to give a straight 10 points for completion of the survey).

Thank you for your help!

Outcomes