Can A Rubric Be Used To Grade A Single Essay Question?

Jump to solution
barnettda
Community Contributor

Hi, community,

As I understand it, rubrics can't normally be attached to a quiz and used to grade that quiz (since machine-graded quiz questions have pre-defined points).

But what about a quiz composed of a single essay question? Could I create a rubric, attach it to the quiz, and use the rubric to grade the quiz answer (which would be a paragraph or two)?

Normally the single essay would carry pre-defined points (such as being worth 20 points) so would that make it impossible to use the rubric to grade students (even if the rubric's highest grade was 20 points, the same as the pre-defined total)?

Thanks for any insight you can share on this!

Cheerily,

Dan

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@barnettda , you can add a rubric and grade your quiz essay question with it. Yet, the grade will NOT automatically update as the quiz score.

How do I add a rubric to a quiz? - "You cannot use a rubric for grading in quizzes, since quiz scores are calculated based on the number of points assigned to each quiz question."

Students will be able to see the rubric grade and comments, but you will need to manually enter the grade for the quiz in Speedgrader.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post