AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to unlock a file after a student completes a quiz or a group completes an assignment?

Question asked by Thomas Rietz on Sep 1, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 by Kona Jones

Each of my course "units" (implemented as "modules") has two assessments:

1. A quiz.  This quiz includes multiple choice questions and a file upload question.  Its easy for me to let students see the solutions for the multiple choice questions.  I've tried two things to let them see the solutions for the file upload:  (a) I used the rich content editor and then the HTML editor to painstakingly create a suggested solution in the question's answer "comment" box.  It all looks good when I edit it, but all the formatting disappears when the students actually view the question.  So...a wasted half hour.  (b) I tried to make the quiz, then the solution file both "required" and said the students need to complete the requirements in order.  Works fine UNTIL...I add

2. An assignment.  This one is by group, but it doesn't really matter.  I have a "suggested solutions" file that I'd like to give students after the assignment is completed.  There is no "comment" I can make after submission...and, even if there was, if it loses the formatting, it doesn't do me any good anyway.  So, I make both the assignment and the solution file both "required" and said that the students need to complete the requirements in order.

Now, we have the problem...there is no natural ordering of the quiz and assignment.  Students can do the quiz and assignment in whichever order they want.  Some group members may do the (individual) quiz first and submit the group assignment before other group members submit the quiz  Maybe all the group members want to complete the quiz last.  Maybe some want to complete the quiz before the group gets around to the assignment.  In fact, the quiz is only a self assessment and is not actually even required.

What I REALLY need to do is make a file release conditional on finishing a quiz AND another file release conditional on completing an assignment.

Is there any way to accomplish this?  (Before you tell me to create separate modules for (1) the "base content" of the module, (2) the quiz and (3) the assignment, don't.  I already went down that route and tripling or merely doubling the number of modules makes the course ungainly and way to complicated to work through the modules...)

Thanks.

Outcomes