Michael Bohl Jenner

Client side (Javascript) addition of rubric criteria?

Discussion created by Michael Bohl Jenner on Sep 11, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 by Michael Bohl Jenner

Today, adding criteria in rubrics is a cumbersome process requiring a huge amount of mouse-clicks. This wouldn't be a bad thing if rubrics had some built in flexibility but they don't. By example when I add a math assignment with 5 subtasks and I want to re-use 3 criteria for each of the subtasks ... phew ... I just don't do it right now.

Would it be possible to use Greasemonkey for Firefox or Tampermonkey for Chrome or Safari and create a Javascript that can enable teachers to add rubric criteria from a CSV file (or similar)?

James Jones shared a javascript enabling easy (manual) re-ordering of criteria, see Sorting Rubrics Made Easy 

My suggestion is to start out simple and allow for some hardcoded filenames, and I therefore suggested below pseudo-code (based on the work by James Jones):

waitForKeyElements('.rubric_container.rubric.editing', attachImportRubrics);

function attachImportRubrics() {

// rough idea, non-working code below:

pseudo code: prompt user to open certain csv file (or just use a hardcoded pre-defined filename)

// I could certainly live with some rough / hardcoded functionality here, it is a lot better than manually modifying rubrics.

pseudo code: open file, make sure it is readable.

var tableRef = $('.rubric_table tbody')

// loop#1 : loop around below code to insert rubric, row-by-row.

pseudo code: read one line from CSV file with rubric criteria (row-by-row)

var newRow = tableRef.insertRow(.tableRef.rows.length);

// loop#2 : loop around below for each criteria column

var newCell = newRow.insertCell(0);

pseudo code: extract (next unread) field in imported CSV line.

var newText = document.createTextNode('some text');  // insert field here instead of this.

newCell.appendChild(newText)

// end loop #2.

// end loop #1.

}

Do you think this can be done?

James Jones already commented on this - see end of this thread: Sorting Rubrics Made Easy - where it was also suggested that the discussion was moved here.

Kind regards,

Michael

Outcomes