AnsweredAssumed Answered

Add New Account User as an Observer

Question asked by Nancy Latimer on Sep 21, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 by Anthony Bunag

Hi Everyone,

We do not currently have a link for parents on our login page. I have a parent that I need to add as an observer for 5 courses. We are integrated with the PowerSchool SIS, and I am not familiar with doing something like this on the backend via CSV files. However, it's no problem for me to add the parent to each course. But - I am trying to simplify this on the parent's end by not having them have to deal with 5 course invitations, the first of which will require them to create a new Canvas account.

I thought maybe I could add the parent as a new user to our account, but there does not seem to be a way to specify a role for the user when doing that.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 11.06.36 AM.png

My thought was I would add them as an observer account, and then link them to their student in each of the student's courses. It is my understanding that observer accounts are free, and so I do not want to set them up with an account that may count as one of our paid ones. Does this make sense?

Worst case scenario, I could have them create the account after the first course invitation and then ignore the rest, as they should be able to see the other courses after the first login. I was just wondering if there might be a better way of going about this.

Thanks for any ideas!

Nancy

Outcomes