Paul Edwards

Copy/duplicate the same assignment 13 times with different due dates

Discussion created by Paul Edwards on Sep 28, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 8, 2017 by Stefanie Sanders

There are many great things about Canvas, but half the point of having a computer is the ability to duplicate things, many times, in the blink of an eye.

I have only two course assignments, but they recur every week for 13 weeks. Right now, that means 26 different assignment specifications. Why is there no system for duplicating an ENTIRE assignment, including specifics such as which kinds of submissions are allowed, so that only the dates need to be changed? And then provide a way to specify dates for all of the assignments in one go, instead of the endless point-click-click-click-wait cycle we now endure? (Sorry, obviously I'm very frustrated.)

And with such a system, what I really want is to be able to make ONE assignment, then specify many dates on which that same assignment recurs -- all on one screen, not by click-wait-click-waiting my way through 26 different screens.

I'm aware of the existing workarounds. They aren't useful. But it does seem like this should be very easy to implement.

The "assign" feature, at the very bottom of the assignments page, allows you to make different due dates for different students or groups. It seems like this could be easily adapted - just make it possible to put "Everyone" in the "Assign to" field for EVERY date you choose. Right now, you can only do this for different students/groups, not for everyone.

Outcomes