AnsweredAssumed Answered

File Names are being changed when exported to other apps

Question asked by Iain Harvey on Oct 23, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 by Iain Harvey

In my junior high science class, I have my students frequently use Canvas in conjunction with their OneDrive for Business app on a classroom set of iPads.

Just in the last couple weeks, I've noticed that when I have my students download a file from Canvas and upload it to their OneDrive account, there are a bunch of numbers that are added to the beginning of the file name of the file being downloaded.  Normally this wouldn't be a problem except that I use a specific nomenclature for files that helps they to stay organized.

My best guess is that this is something happening within Canvas, (and not caused by other apps,) because the same thing is happening whether the file is exported to OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, and others. Could it be from a recent update to Canvas, or from the recent iOS update?  (The problem doesn't show up when downloading the file on a computer through an internet browser, only when downloading the file from the app.)

Is there a setting somewhere that I can change within my app or account to stop it from happening? Or is it happening because of how I am setting up the files in Canvas?

Thanks!

Outcomes