Cross-Program Project-Based Curriculum

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I work in a technical college. In industry almost everything is accomplished through cross-disciplinary teams, and yet our college is structured around the traditional model of single-disciplinary programs (technical and professional). In our last Academic Program Mix Steering Committee, a couple rabble-rousing troublemakers (I won't mention any names, not even my own) talked about the possibility of exploring a cross-program project-based model that could bring, for example, second-year students from several different programs together to collaborate on a major project that would both satisfy the degree requirements for their specified field, but also earn additional certification in a cross-disciplinary field.

For example: to build a drone requires many unrelated skill and knowledge sets - in other words a team collaborating on the design and building of a drone. We would need mechanical fabricators, electronics techs, programmers, aeronautic techs, etc.

This is a growing pedagogical model in K12, but my initial searches have yielded very little fruit in Higher Ed.

I am searching for examples of other schools engaged in this type of program development, and folks who are willing to share their trials and tribulations, issues and triumphs!

Can anybody help me?

thank you,

KLM