AnsweredAssumed Answered

How does an instructor restrict access to a file to only one student?

Question asked by Annette Parde-Maass on Apr 21, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 by Kona Jones

Several instructors would like the ability to share a file with only one student at a time. This is specifically for field-based-experience evaluation forms. The forms are generated by the instructors (so not a submitted assignment by the student) and need to be shared with the student. The student also needs to sign that they have read the form and address any questions the student or instructors may have. Each student would receive one form per week but each file would be specific to a student. The instructors do not want students to be able to see other students' forms.

The ideal situation would be setting up a course file folder for each student and restrict access to only that student. I do not believe this exists. If it does, please let me know. If not, I would like to make a feature request.

As workarounds, I'm seeing some options. Please let me know if I am mistaken and also if there are additional downfalls to using these.

1. A collaboration could be created with each student and be added to every week. This could be rather long by the end of the semester, but it may be the simplest. Do changes with Google Docs affect this option? Would the instructor be safer to set it up in EtherPad?

2. Each student could be placed in his/her own group. This would allow the instructor to upload files to the "group" of one and the student to upload responses/acknowledgement. This would take some set up at the beginning of the semester but may be cleaner than a lengthy collaboration.

Are there other options I'm not seeing? Please let me know.

Outcomes