AnsweredAssumed Answered

I wish to use the percentage earned on each assignment and not the total points when calculating total score.

Question asked by Dustin Potter on Dec 12, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 by Stefanie Sanders

In a given category there will be several assignment all worth different total scores. However, I wish to have all assignment in a given category weighted equally and so want the total score in the category based on the sum of student's percentage score on an assignment and not on the raw total score. For example, say the following were the scores for a hypothetical student:

Points Possible     100     50     75     100     20

Student A               90     50     25     75     20

Then student A's total points would be 255 and their total score in the given category (as currently calculated by Canvas) would be:

(90 + 50 + 25 + 75 + 20)/(100 + 50 + 75 + 100 + 20) = 260/345 = 75.36%.

However, based on this scheme, assignments 1 and 4 have a greater weight. I would rather convert each score to a percentage, add these up and then divide by the number of assignments to calculate the category score. In this scheme, the final total would be calculated as:

(90/100 + 50/50 + 25/75 + 75/100 + 20/20)/5 = 3.98/5 = 79.67%.

As can be seen, the two schemes for calculating totals arrive at two significantly different values. Unfortunately, I can not seem to figure out how to have canvas use my desired approach to calculating total scores without having originally had scores entered in as percentages in the first place.

Obviously, this difference leads to confusion on the student's part when they are trying to calculate their final grade in the class. Canvas has one score while my calculated final score can be significantly different from what is posted on Canvas.

Outcomes