AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Optional" Quiz Questions

Question asked by Farrah Cato on Apr 22, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 by Kevin Miller

Hi,

I'm trying to construct a final exam that gives students some options along the way.  This is easy to do in a F2F class, but a little trickier online.  What I want is for students to answer 10 out of a possible 12 short-answer/essay questions. I don't care which 10 they answer; I want them to choose the 10 that they think they can do the best job on.

The only way I can think to do it is this:  create a 12-question quiz, assign 10 points to each, so that it appears that 120 points could be earned.  The directions on the quiz (as well as the module that goes with it) would direct them to answer only 10 and would specify that no more than 100 points total can be earned.  When I grade the exam, I would assign 0 points to the 'extra' two questions so that the most anyone could earn would be 100.

Obviously, this isn't ideal, but it's the only thing I've been able to come up with so far.  The course is set up so that assignments are based on percentages.  The Final Exam is its own category, so I don't really anticipate that it would play screwy with the overall percents (in theory, anyway).

That was a long way of asking:  have any of you done something like this in a cleaner way?  Are there any pitfalls I should be thinking of?

Thanks for any tips you can give,

farrah

Outcomes