AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I limit the amount of points that can be earned in an Assignment Group?

Question asked by Gregory Beyrer on Jan 29, 2017
Latest reply on May 8, 2017 by Gregory Beyrer

I have a grade item in my class called Active Participant in Discussion worth 30 points total. I create an Assignment Group for the various discussions in the class where students demonstrate active participation. There are ten and are worth three points each.

My challenge is how to encourage discourse while also allowing students to focus their efforts on the topics that interest them. I give them up to three points for a quality initial post and one point for replies to classmates with a maximum of five points per discussion. So a particularly active student could earn 50 points across the ten discussions but I will only count 30 toward the course grade. I am confident students will not always have the syllabus in mind ("up to 30 points for being an active participant in discussion") when they are looking at their grades.

What do you think is the best way to manage it? I can manage it manually but it would be great if there was some setting in individual assignments or assignment groups that could help me do this more efficiently. This all could be an idea for a Canvas improvement ("Allow Maximum Points for an Assignment Group"), but I decided to try a question first to see what the always-awesome Canvas Community can come up with.

Outcomes