AnsweredAssumed Answered

REST - Deleting Sub-Accounts

Question asked by Kurt Faulknerloser on Jan 27, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 by Kurt Faulknerloser

Hello,

I've been doing some integration testing with the Canvas REST API and noticed that you cannot delete accounts/sub-accounts using the REST API.  While not a big deal for production purposes (we don't have a use case that would require deleting accounts using REST), it does make automated testing for creating/updating/deleting accounts & sub-accounts impossible.

That said, I can log into the server and manually delete sub-accounts just fine.  However, I've noticed that if I create a sub-account using an SIS_Account_ID, I'm unable to re-create the same sub-account.

Here's the JSON returned after creating the sub-account:

{"id":11,"name":"Test Sub Account","workflow_state":"active","parent_account_id":1,"root_account_id":1,"default_storage_quota_mb":500,"default_user_storage_quota_mb":50,"default_group_storage_quota_mb":50,"default_time_zone":"America/Los_Angeles","sis_account_id":"TST-11111","sis_import_id":null,"integration_id":null}

After logging into Canvas and manually deleting the sub-account, if I try to re-create the same sub-account, this is what I get:

{"errors":{"sis_source_id":[{"attribute":"sis_source_id","type":"SIS ID \"TST-11111\" is already in use","message":"SIS ID \"TST-11111\" is already in use"}]}}

This error doesn't occur if I don't use an SIS_Account_ID - I can create/delete/recreate accounts just fine.

Since I'm still very new to Canvas, I was wondering if anyone could provide (or point me to) more information about why Canvas behaves this way.  Since Canvas seems to hold onto the SIS_Account_ID, even after the Account using the SIS_Account_ID has been deleted, I'm thinking that either there's something important about the SIS_Account_ID that I'm not aware of - or this is some sort of bug - and we've got orphaned data hanging around in the database.

Thank you. 

Outcomes