AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is there an easier way to duplicate & edit math questions with equations?

Question asked by Deborah Gaydos on Jan 30, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 by Linnea Thompson

The best way to ask this question is to explain what I'm trying to do. As an example, I am working on a question bank with absolute value inequality questions. I have 4 similar multiple choice questions, e.g.: "What is the solution set to the inequality: |x|>7" and then additional versions that use |x|<7, |x|<=7, |x|>=7. The first two versions have 8 identical answer choices (6 of which are sets involving a "7"), and the last 2 have the same answer choices, but with closed intervals instead of open. All of the expressions, both in the question and the answer, are done with equation editor.

Now, I want to load up the question bank with several more versions, where I just change the 7 to other numbers; e.g., duplicate these 4 questions maybe another 5-8 times. The only way I know how to do this is to:

1. copy each question into a temporary new bank (since I can't just "duplicate" a question in the same bank)

2. edit EVERY equation in each of the 4 questions and answers (approximately 28 edits, just for one new "set" of 4 questions)

3. move the questions from the temporary bank back to the "real" bank

4. lather, rinse, repeat 7 more times

Since all of the items that need to be edited are inside equation objects, I don't know if there is an easier way to do this. If there were a way to export the questions into some kind of text format, edit the text (even if it means editing the html for the equation objects??) using copy and paste, etc, and then import it BACK into Canvas, it would be SO much easier.

Alternatively, if there were a way to use variables inside equation objects (the way we can for formula questions), AND then use those same variables in multiple choice answer options, this would be a BREEZE. I have a feeling there is no breezy way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here.

We do have a campus license for Respondus, which I just recently downloaded and haven't really learned how to use yet. I hoped that it might be an easier way to create multiple questions like this, but since it also uses an equation editor for equation objects, I doubt that it will be much of a time/effort savings.

Outcomes