How do I save embedded videos in canvas to my computer when the 'Files' section is not available for my courses?

Jump to solution
cmetz
Community Novice

My courses do not have the 'Files' section, which is where I think I would normally be able to find embedded videos from the Module sections. I've right clicked the videos and 'saved as' onto my computer, but when I try to reopen, it opens in Canvas. After a trimester, my courses are no longer available to me after the following trimester, but I want to be able to continue to have access to the videos. How d I do this?

3 Solutions
tbunag
Community Champion

Did you try starting the video before selecting to "Save As?"  That's the solution suggested in the following thread: Downloading a video from Canvas Rich Content Editor within a Discussion 

It's the same suggestion in this thread: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/13279-is-it-possible-to-download-a-media-submission 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Kelley, Thank you. I do understand that if it links to somewhere else like youtube, that's different. They are vimeo videos and cannot be opened outside of canvas. I have no options to save this?

lgpops
Community Member

I just encountered a problem where videos weren't loading within canvas and needed to be downloaded. I used Media download helper but there are others.

You can use an extension called Media download helper or Screencastify to scrape videos.

Alternative methods include using a scraper such as OctoParse or simply create your own using Python (knowledge of coding required).

Hope this helps.

0 Likes