AnsweredAssumed Answered

Verifying if a student has attempted an assignment

Question asked by Michelle Everson on Apr 26, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 by Michelle Everson

Hi Everyone,

I have a few different questions here.  I will bold them so as to make this easier to follow!

In my course, students have weekly homework assignments that we set up as quizzes in Canvas. Each assignment includes 10 multiple-choice questions.  Students get just one attempt at each assignment, and we mute grades until the deadline has passed (at which time we release grades and feedback to the whole class).  If students do not attempt the assignments, we automatically record a grade of 0 in our grade book.  

Yesterday (the day before our final exam, no less!), a student contacted us because she is puzzled as to why she has 0's for the last two of these assignments.  She claims she did in fact complete them this past weekend, before the due dates.  To check on this, I typically click on the name of the quiz, go to "Moderate This Quiz," and then look to see if the quiz was indeed attempted.  For both of the quizzes in question, I could see no attempts at all by this student.  In other words, it does not appear that she ever opened the quizzes.  My assumption is that if she opened either quiz, we'd see this show up as an attempt, correct?  And, if she did not properly submit, wouldn't the assessment automatically submit once the assignment closes, or, at the very least, remain "active" for us to see any work that she did complete??  Seeing that she failed to attempt either of these quizzes makes us suspicious, but since Canvas is new for us, we are not sure if this can sometimes happen.

I also went to "People" and looked at the Access Report for this student.  That report showed me that she only attempted to access those two quizzes one time each, and the date of her access was YESTERDAY, not over the weekend, as she claimed.

To put it bluntly, I don't want to accuse her of being dishonest, but what I am seeing is making me very skeptical.  However, again, I'm new to Canvas, and perhaps I am not looking at the right things.  

Related to this, I got to thinking about the fact that it's likely this could happen in the future...When students submit work, do they get any kind of email notification that could serve as a "receipt" that they can share with instructors in the event that we have questions about whether the work was actually completed?  If that kind of receipt is not automatically sent to students, is there a setting we can check so that students CAN get email notification of a successful assignment submission?

Thank you, as always, for your help and support!

Michelle

Outcomes