To all you fine folks in the Canvas Community:
My team and I have been pondering the pros and cons, the dos and don'ts, and the best practices of some closely-related features and settings around ungraded, or zero-point events in Canvas.
These related items are:
1) You can set an Assignment or a Discussion to be worth zero points.
2) If your assignment is in any graded form, you can hit a checkbox that reads, "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade."
3) You can set an Assignment to display the grade as "Not Graded".
4) You can set a Quiz to be a type of "Ungraded survey".
I would very much appreciate input from all who have used any of these features:
- Which settings do you use?
- Why do you use them?
- How do they differ from each other?
- What are any pitfalls to observe?
- How do the settings interact with each other?
I've begun to collate some detailed points on these items, but would appreciate all input, suggestions or lessons-learned.
(Ultimately, we are hoping to craft a one-page document to provide clarity and guidance to our faculty.)
For items worth zero points:
- Could be used for extra credit.
- Could be used for practice assignments.
- Be careful how these items may interact with the weighting of assignment groups.
- This assignment WILL appear in the gradebook, so long as it is not marked as "Not Graded".
For the checkbox "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade.":
- Could be used to provide feedback for assignments... without impacting the grade
- Is only available for assignments (not for quizzes or discussions).
- These assignments will NOT appear in the gradebook.
- Only appears as an option when the Show Grade As setting is set as anything other than "Not Graded."
For assignments marked as "Not Graded":
- (I searched the Canvas Guides on "not graded" and "assignment not graded"... and I did not get any hits.)
- I tested, and discovered that "Not Graded" assignments will NOT appear in the gradebook.
For quiz type "Ungraded Survey":
- Literally, this could be used for an actual survey of students.
- A checkbox is available, allowing you to set the submissions as anonymous.
- These items will NOT appear in the gradebook.
Outstanding question: Which of these items can be deleted? Will there be any ramifications on the gradebook?
University of Wisconsin-Madison